• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stainless or steel tail brace wires?

Glenn5ft19

I have a choice of using stainless or regular steel brace wires. Other than not having to paint the stainless wires, what are the advantages or disadvantages of either system? Appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks
Glenn

My steel tail braces were painted, but they got plenty of nicks and therefore rust spots. My concern was that I'd miss a rusty area, and that brace would eventually fail. Which, it seems to me, might make my already erratic flying somewhat more erratic. So I switched to SS and sleep easier. :)

Only slightly off-topic, pay attention to fixed vertical fin deflection before and after changing out tail wires. This can affect rudder trim.

Also, on preflight, look carefully at the folded fittings: I've found a few badly cracked on the bend. Look with the attitude that you WILL find something wrong, and be grateful when you don't.

Then pluck the brace wires for fairly even tuning. I like ~low G, but D above G is OK.....

Thanks. Cubscout

Perhaps you could post a sound bite of octave that D would be in as I'm not too familiar with tuning wires. No. but seriously thanks for all the input and I will go with the SS wires.
Glenn

Oh Man!
I knew that my color deficiency would hamper building a Super Cub , but now my tone deficiency will create havoc also! I'm glad I'm all out of deficiencies and I can get on with finishing my project.

Do the supercubs have the square/angled washer under the bolt head and nut on the folded fittings like the J series cubs? Cub guro Clyde Smith suggests never fly a J series cub without them.

Back