• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flare guns?

Jr.CubBuilder

Anybody have any recomendations on flare guns?

I'd really like to hang a 37mm under my AR15 but I suppose that just really isn't practicle for a plane survival kit.

I really like the samurai guy with the electric fingertips in the graphic on that website.

Are flare guns expensive? I found this Laser flare on the REI site. Anyone ever used one of these? Looks like a lightsaber, but I can't imagine it being as effective as a glowing flare that shines from on high. You'd probably get thrown in jail for trying to signal an overhead jet with it.

Zane

There is a laser flare out there that was designed and tested here in Alaska, and has been approved for use by the FAA. I don't recall the brand name, but it can be found at REI, Eagle Enterprises, and all over town here in Anchorage. They say that the visibility is far superior to flares. I don't know...But I do know that if the National Guard or Coast Guard is looking for you at night, these lasers light up Night Vision Goggles quite well. I have had the oppurtunity to look at one of these through NVGs and it is really cool! As far as your original question about flares, I carry a "pocket Rocket" which is essentially a pen sized launcher with three flare cartridges that can be fired from it. Costs about $25-$30 at Wal-Mart. I have used it, and it worked for me. The Beaver driver (rescuer) said he saw the flare bright as day. (and it was about 10 am). At night I'm sure it would have lit up the sky!

Well, tere are my thoughts..

Here's my philosophy on signaling devices:

1) You can only carry so much stuff with you in one of these airplanes.

2) There are short duration signals and there are long duration signals. Flares are short duration signals

3) There are night signals and there are day signals. For the most part, flares are night signals. They are really hard to see in daylight unless you look right at them.

4) If they are searching for you with NVG's, they'll be able to see a fire from a long ways off, and a flashlight with white lens from much further off.

So, I don't like flares much, cause they are a VERY short duration (unless you can air drop some of the Viet Nam era WP aerial flares) primarily night signal, and there are a lot of other night signals out there that may in fact be better.

I carry a few small pen flares in my main survival gear. I carry several railroad fuses as well. Light one of these and wave it, and it'll burn for 15 minutes or so.

Greatland laser sells laser flares, which I think are pretty cool. Apparently, however, the Coast Guard evaluated them for inclusion in their personal survival kits and didn't think they were all that great. They are expensive. They look pretty good to me, but.....

You need a fire, you need some light to work around camp with. There are far better daytime signalling devices than flares.

Carry some railroad fuses. They'll help you start a fire, work well as signals, and add a good flashlight to that, with extra batteries, and I think you may have night signalling in the bag.

A few pen flares aren't such a bad idea, but they are so momentary as to be nearly irrelevant.

I've been dang near shot down by guys trying to get my attention with flares during daylight. They used up all their flares as I motored back and forth overhead, hauling fuel. Finally decided to shoot me down, and lobbed one across my bow. I saw that one, but just barely.

Course, some people may stay awake while hauling fuel.....

MTV

I carry the military day-night flares in my kit. One side is red smoke and it makes LOTS. Then you save the flare and the other side is red fire. If nothing else it helps to make a camp fire...

Skyblazer's work good at night, for a para flare. Although I like the thought of the thumpper. good to go.
jk

12 ga Flare?

Any of you ever test/use the 12 ga flares? Makes pretty good sense since a lot of us carry shotguns, but how do they perform?

Back