• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Project Pictures

Mark Lund

FRIEND
Jewell, Iowa
I just posted a few pictures of my experimental project in my member gallery. I've got to make up my aileron cables and than I'm about ready to take it apart and start covering.

Mark

cub

Mark, good work thats going to be a good looking plane. I noticed you put wing tanks in it, probably 18 gallon tanks. Im helping my son with a Wag-aro j-3 and want to do the same thing. could you tell us more about the tanks. what engine are you going to put in it ? Im going to put in a 0-200 in the j-3. Way to go Mark, bet you get guys coming into your hanger all the time to check it out. Keep the pictures coming.

Bill

Way to go! Looks like a great project. What covering system you going to use?

Keep the photos and information coming!

The tanks are Piper Tanks. One from a Super Cub the other from a Tri-Pacer. We scrounge a lot of parts around this neighborhood. Most of the wing parts are from Tri-Pacers that met their end. The fuselage is a Wag-Aero kit modified per Super Cub drawings. I built the most of the ribs, the ailerons and elevators. The fly market at Osh Kosh provided the stabs.

I'll cover with Poly-Fiber. I've done a couple J-3's with it and I'm most familiar with it. I like the Poly Tone because it's so forgiving of screw ups and really easy to touch up or patch if the need be.

I can't decide if I'll use an O-320 or O-200. I have the engine mounts for both and the fuselage is beefed up to carry the bigger engine if I want. Gas prices may make the decision for me.

Mark Lund said:
The tanks are Piper Tanks. One from a Super Cub the other from a Tri-Pacer. We scrounge a lot of parts around this neighborhood. Most of the wing parts are from Tri-Pacers that met their end. The fuselage is a Wag-Aero kit modified per Super Cub drawings. I built the most of the ribs, the ailerons and elevators. The fly market at Osh Kosh provided the stabs.

I'll cover with Poly-Fiber. I've done a couple J-3's with it and I'm most familiar with it. I like the Poly Tone because it's so forgiving of screw ups and really easy to touch up or patch if the need be.

I can't decide if I'll use an O-320 or O-200. I have the engine mounts for both and the fuselage is beefed up to carry the bigger engine if I want. Gas prices may make the decision for me.

I have never heard anyone say "Gee I wish I had put the smaller engine in" Go for it.

Mark, That looks real good. It takes alot of work to get a project this far along. I hope my 2+2 will get there this winter. What did you use for the floor? It looks like alucabond. I fashioned the rear and middle floorsections of alucabond yesterday and will do the front today after my supercub.org fix. The overhead picture is great. Also the laid down elevator bellcrank is nice. How do you get into the baggage compartment? Again it really looks great. If the O320 is ok weight wise you can always reduce rpm to save fuel. And the extra power is sure to come in handy at times.

The floor boards are a cabinet grade 5 ply 1/4 inch plywood. I've had the black floor boards in the J-3's and am tired of that. I don't particularly like the natural wood look so I stained these a grey color and coated them with 3 coats of Stitts epoxy spar varnish. The grey color will match the color of the lower interior panels and seats. I extended the floor under the rear seat with the intention of adding some under seat storage for an extra headset etc.

The elevator bell crank set up does cause the loss of some baggage area space but for my use a really big baggage area isn't an issue. I think I"m 6 or 700 miles from the closest moose and I couldn't hit it with a howitzer any way. Entrance to the baggage compartment is typical cub, over the back of the back seat.

I agree it's tough to have too much power when you need it.

A year's work.

November 2005

Cub_Pictures_040.jpg

December 2006

PB150031.JPG

Inspection scheduled for later this month.

Mark

Mark, That thing is way to pretty to fly. Got her in the air yet. Sure like to know how she does, keep us posted.

Ah man I am JEALOUS. That is a great looking plane. And even more cool is the sense of accomplishment I bet.

Thanks for the nice comments. As I tell my friends, "It just needs to look good at 70+ mph from a quarter mile away."

Leon, in my mind, getting 20 337's approved by the Fed's today is a huge accomplishment!

Mark

Back