• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Missing Hunter and the Forgotten Cameras

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
hunt.jpg

The Crew

It was a summer like evening just a few weeks ago in the northern most reaches of South Dakota. In fact, if you threw a rock you could hit North Dakota - that is you could if you weren't so tired from chasing pheasants all day long in the tall grass.

A group of twelve or so hunters and our local guide had driven five or six miles from home base to do a final late afternoon ambush of the cunning ring necked rooster. Much excitement ensued, birds everywhere, adrenaline pumping, and finally, the group settles down for the trip back to the command post. But wait. Where is our local guide? There is his van, but where is he? Didn't someone say he had had heart trouble? Where is his dog? Would he not let us know if he were wandering off? We don't know this guy, but certainly we need to find out what has become of him.

The hunters take action quickly as the sun is sinking fast, painting the corn and CRP with a pinkish glow. They load into a Chevy dually and an old Suburban and search a couple of the fields where the guide was last seen - spotters stationed on top of one vehicle to see above the high grass, and into the low lying areas. There is no sign of the guide.

A idea is born instantly. Someone should run back and search the area with a Super Cub. There is little time left as the light is fading fast and the makeshift airstrip at the hunting lodge is not lighted and does have a powerline or two to avoid. Others have landed at night, but it is not a recommeded approach proceedure.

The pilot and spotter race to the site, a second group leaps into the Suburban equipped with sat phone, first aid kit, and an anxious, uncomfortable feeling that this may all end badly.

As the driver of the Suburban, I can attest to the tension. We saw the plane circle in the distance. We quietly and quickly drove the few miles of gravel and blacktop toward the site.

Suddenly, the Super Cub headed toward us. It circled, it waggled, it bobbed, but we kept on course toward the last location we had seen our guide. Suddenly, the skilled pilot brought the Super Cub right above the left side of the Suburban. The right wing over the top of the car. It was close enough that the spotter could talk to us as we were going sixty miles an hour down the road. Close enough that with a camera, we could have seen the leftover gunpowered on their cheeks from the day's hunting, close enough that we all looked for the cameras that we had forgotten in the excitement to rescue the guide.

For good measure, the Super Cub pilot did a touch and go on the road in front of us and then broke off toward home base in the last fading moments of sunset. We watched as our guide's green van passed us going the other direction - a second signal that we could now relax.

We turned around and headed for our temporary home and another evening of telling stories and dreaming dreams - with one more great story in our pockets.

sj

P.S. 99.67777% True

Dam! I'll never forget THAT afternoon. YaaaaaaaaaHoooooooooo!
Wilbur

Is this our esteemed Leader with a gun in his hands?
I figgered if he hung around with that redneck bunch of Cub pilots, he would pick up bad habits.
Next thing you know, he will be shooting them little old Missouri deer and eating them!

Steve.jpg
:eek:

Which one of those guys is Diggler? I just know I was sleeping near him.

T.J. Hinkle said:
Next thing you know, he will be shooting them little old Missouri deer and eating them!

Truth be known, damn near hit one with my car today - fortunatley (for me) the young buck was quick!

I think you will need FBI image enhancement to see if that is really me. Maybe the fact that I am wearing a sweatshirt from the college that Monica Lewinsky went to will clue you in...

sj

Nope,
Ain't gonna say it. No use twisting my arm, ain't gonna do it!

If the truth be known Steve wanted to set fire to the standing cron field and shoot the birds as they flew out of the smoke, BUT we didn't want to roast are guide that was missing.

Thanks Steve for the interesting story Hell I was there and your story was still interesting.

hottshot said:
Hey Sj--

I hear we can all call you "Patch" now??? :drinking: :lol:

Probably for several aeronautical reasons, but relative to this trip?

I am, as usual, confused.

sj

I'm a day late as usual, but I need to report that we gave out 2 awards on Thursday nite at "the Roost". Those of you that left earlier missed it.

The "Top Gun" award went to Pat Svoboda.....I can't believe a southern boy outshot everyone. :snipersmile: Among his other dead-eye shots I witnessed Pat dropping 3 roosters in a 10 second period. Way ta go Pat (your prize is on the way)

The "Ray Charles" award went to Gunny. That guy blew more holes in the sky than anyone......buy no one can condemn him for not trying as he blazed away :2gunfire: at 70+ yd. shots. I can personally confirm one downed bird as Sophie ( my lab) sniffed it out in ankle deep water. Gunny received a boresnake........fitting prize as there was a heap 'o lead to clean out of his barrel.

My thanks to all who took the effort to join in the fun. What a great bunch you all were.......we had a super fun safe hunt and Randy said he can't wait for next year.

cubdrvr said:
The "Top Gun" award went to Pat Svoboda.....I can't believe a southern boy outshot everyone. :snipersmile: Among his other dead-eye shots I witnessed Pat dropping 3 roosters in a 10 second period. Way ta go Pat (your prize is on the way)

Kansas City is in the South?

Next year I'm bringing weapons platoon and we are gonna have artillery and air on call - 8) (note the Ray Charles glasses)

PS - thanks again Randy and Dave for an outstanding time.

Back