• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North Pole

cub_driver

Big Lake AK
I was sitting around and thinking what fun it might be to take a flight to the North Pole and be there on the hunderth anniversary? That would mean landing on the pole on April 6th 2009. That would be 100 years after Robert Peary reached it by dog slead. Or there is the 80 year anniversary of Richard Byrd who flew the fist flight over the north pole in May 9th of 1926. Myself it sounds like a hoot is anyone else interested? If so we better start planning now!

Cub_Driver

Sounds like a great adventure! Go for it! If you're really serious about the trip and you find yourself setting up a fundraising effort I'd make a contribution to that undertaking.

Crash

I would have to chart it out to be sure. I am thinking it is about a 2500 mile round trip. It would be a effort getting all the fuel stagged for the trip also spring weather can be cold and windy.

Cub_Driver

Wow! What a thought. I might be interested. It would be a trip of a life-time and require lots of planning. Hmmm.....

hey, i almost live there!! there have been alot of famous expeditions from svalbard(home for now), you might consider it a back-up plan to go if the weather is bad on the return trip. its only 200 miles or so from my house to the true n.pole, and if you want a weather forcast its dark, blowing, and snowin'! wont see the sun until late febuary : :morning: but it sounds like a fun trip, so be carefull! greg

There was a Cub that flew there many years ago. If I remember right, an article was published in the old Super Cub Newsletter that Cub Crafters put out.

It's an easy navigation trip..... wherever you are, just head north.

Somewhere I have some notes. While on a long sub-polar flight once, I did some flight planning. Would be great to make trip with several Cubs. Would require lots of fuel.

Let me know if anyone would like some flight plan calculations. I can look for my old info or just run the numbers again.

It's an easy navigation trip..... wherever you are, just head north.

Just remember there are two north poles, so make certain everybody is going to the same one :angel:

MTV

Back