• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which O320 ad's are really needed?

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
Lycoming surely issues some of the O320 ad's to cover their rearend's. Under experimental rules I don't have to comply. So what are the ones that really were the result of true problems? The easy answer is of course all of them, but surely some are more critical than others.

AD's

My FSDO told me I had to comply with all AD's. Certified engine so lower number of flight test hours. They did check my Brackett airfilter to make sure it was Rev. D and satisfied the AD. DTW FSDO

If you want to keep your engine certified, you must comply with all the AD's. if you choose to make it Experimental, then you don't. However if you should ever decide to bring it back to certified status, since it was maintained as an exp. you would have to disassemble the engine and have it conform to a conformity inspection. Probably cheaper in the long run to maintain it as a certified engine.

John

Thanks for the reply's . I have no experiance with lycomings as the planes my dad and I deal with are all continental powered. So I was wanting an idea of what I should really be concerned with as far as maintenance etc. This is for an exp.which the engine will be also, so I can do annuals and repairs. Learning to build , maintain and prevent problems etc is what makes exp. fun to me, and I enjoy flying too. I am going to adhere to the service bulletins esp. since Steve Pierce says none of them are BS. A discussion of what the big ailments of O320,s and how to best handle the problem was my goal for this thread.

Back