PDA

View Full Version : Boat load of landing gear on eBay

Bugs66
10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Anyone recognize these and care to comment? The price is tempting for my project. I would like to know if they are extended gear or not. Based on drawing 10033 I can't tell for certain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4580903247

Cub junkie
10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
1 1/4 axles. Anymore Ebay is the last place for a "good deal" he may have 17 of them but watch the bidders pay too much. Just my 2 cents worth

Steve Pierce
10-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Hard to go wrong at $250 a pair in my opinion.

Hyrdflyr
10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Considering that there was 17 pairs of them the first bid at $100 would have been a lot better starting point for a multiple auction.

SJ
10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
You can still get a good deal on Ebay if you are careful. I just sold a bunch of stuff that two years ago would have gone MUCH higher. Everybody that bought my stuff got a real good deal this time around. Cautious buyers.

It was not aircraft stuff, but similar frenzy type items.

sj

Webfoot
10-10-2005, 11:38 PM
The guy must have gotten these from Alaska Public Safety. They recently replaced all their cub gear with some modified for wheel skiis. The problem with the old gear was that with the wheel ski tabs on the front, didn't meet minimum clearance for the borer prop. The tabs are modified on their new gear to give a legal clearance. $250 a set might not be a bad deal.

Cub junkie
10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
I still stand on my opinion, 1 1/4 axles, it was Bugs inquiry, 1 1/4 axle Clevelands are not on the used market like used 1 1/2" wheels.And is it a "buy it now" for 250? SJ, I dont usually like to disagree with you but in my humble opinion E bay is only average for acquiring something aviation wise, all the cool stuff is either "reserve not met " or goes high price.

Bugs66
10-11-2005, 12:01 AM
The guy must have gotten these from Alaska Public Safety. They recently replaced all their cub gear with some modified for wheel skiis. The problem with the old gear was that with the wheel ski tabs on the front, didn't meet minimum clearance for the borer prop. The tabs are modified on their new gear to give a legal clearance. $250 a set might not be a bad deal.

I wanted to run a Borer or Pawnee prop on my experimental, so sounds like these wouldn't work. Too bad they aren't extended gear.

Steve Pierce
10-11-2005, 06:58 AM
You can put a tube over the 1 1/4" axle to fit the 1 1/2" wheel. Atlee did this years ago I believe. I get a good deal on ebay from time to time. Mostly because it is listed funny or something. The popular stuff seems to go high.

SJ
10-11-2005, 07:03 AM
SJ, I dont usually like to disagree with you but in my humble opinion E bay is only average for acquiring something aviation wise, all the cool stuff is either "reserve not met " or goes high price.

But Cub Junkie, EVERYBODY disagrees with me, that is why they come here!

I always do no-reserve auctions with a $1.00 first bid. I wish they offered a way to filter out reserves and "buy it now" items. Once you get through all that, if you take the time, there are still a deal or two out there, but frankly, I don't watch the aviation stuff on ebay as the wife says I have too much aviation stuff already.

Ebay is not what it once was, but it is worse than it ever was... or something like that.

sj

Cub junkie
10-11-2005, 07:12 AM
You can tell when I have to much spare time, I end up on the computer toiling over stuff like this. I have been "ambushed bid" off of several Lycoming parts on e bay at the last minute. And Steve I didnt know there was such a thing as too much aviation stuff. I will go back to lurking and try to use my vacation time more wisely. Kevin

SJ
10-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Kevin,

I had a new experience this time around. I had a winner of one of the things I had for sale with a negative (-1) feedback rating. Scary, but he paid!

I do know some guys that have multiple logins and ease their bids up. I guess it is like having somebody in the audience at an auction driving things up. I have only done it when I decided I would keep something if it was only going to go for so little.

sj

Steve Pierce
10-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Dana has brainwashed Steve into thinking you can have too much aviation stuff.

Try this for the last minute bid. I have been using it lately and it works well. http://www.auctionsniper.com/mysnipes.aspx

Cub junkie
10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link Steve, I think I have been "sniped" next time I want something badly I will hook up with auction sniper. Kevin

behindpropellers
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
If looking for parts I recomend keeping an excel spread sheet of closed auctions/prices. You can track prices and not overspend. Steve is correct on the items that were mis-listed, but those are hard to find. Ill have to list the parts that came off of ebay for my plane sometime, you would laugh.

Tim

Fortysix12
10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Is $250 for a set of uses 18 gear legs a good deal?

Cub junkie
10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Is $250 for a set of uses 18 gear legs a good deal?Yes that is a good deal for gear legs.

Webfoot
10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I need to clarify what I said about the gear and wheel skiis. I believe these are standard length gear, and you could run a bore prop if you have the clearance, like on 8.50x6 or larger tires. You are good on skiis like Landis and Atlee Dodge too, as they have high pedestals. The problem I mentioned is only when wheel skiis are mounted, in the ski position they didn't quite make the bore prop minimum clearance.
Webfoot

Marty57
10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I am interested in using these gear legs on my 2+2 project. I havenít checked the plans yet so does anybody know if the 18 legs will fit a 14/2+2. Also, how difficult is it to find the other parts for the landing gear used. Do they show up from time to time?

Thanks,
Marty

Cub junkie
10-12-2005, 01:30 PM
They should fit as long as you build your own cabane vee, and you would need to build the shock struts in place. Good time saver, gear legs are time consuming to build.

Marty57
10-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks. Thatís what I thought. For the price I think the time saving over building is a plus.