• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

overhead trim crank

T

T Willson

What are the advantages and disadvantages to mounting the trim overhead? I find the side mounted trim somewhat ackward when wearing winter clothing, but I have never flown with overhead trim. I see some good photos on the Smith cub site, this looks like it might be handier.
Exp. 18 so paperwork no problem.
Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

I had a Taylorcraft about a thousand years ago that had the overhead trim handle, it worked just fine. Only difference was the T Craft had a yolk and you drove it with your left hand leaving the right hand free to operate the overhead center mounted trim. Don't know how this would work out with right hand on a stick.
I personally like the trim handle on the 18 right where it is at. Just my humble opinion.
Rock

I had a Pacer years ago with the overhead crank. I must lack manual dexterity. I found that I always cranked the trim, and then had to crank it the opposite direction to get the desired result. You would think the odds were that I was going to go the right way at least 50% of the time, but NO!

Personally, I hate all overhead controls. It's just not natural (or dignified) to have hands up in the air. I didn't even like the HF antenna crank up there in the C-180. I know some pigboat and twotter pilots will disagree. 'course it would be a good way to cut down on the wear and tear of your trim mechanism, since you won't be doing much trimming.

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if overhead would be as intuitive as on the left side.
Aviator, I never even considered that overhead controlls might be " undignified ", thanks for the" heads up" on that. Looks so far like- DON'T mess with a good thing.
Anybody else?
Tim

" I know some pigboat and twotter pilots will disagree. 'course "

For all you Cub guys, a Pig Boat is a PBY. :eek:

And both the PBY and the Twin Otter are quite comfortable to fly with overhead controls.

It just depends on how long you fly them I guess.

I'm just putting the left side door in my Cub project and will keep the trim on the left side where it feels most natural in a Cub.

Guess I have too much time in Clippers, Pacers and Tri-Pacers cause I find the overhead trim natural. J-3 is a pain from the back seat but once trimmed I leave it alone.

Have overhead trim in my PA-14. Feels pretty natural to me, although most adjustments occur so that I'm not banging my head on it; not much headroom in 35 Hotel...

Overhead trim...

The overhead trim in my Smith Kit works just fine, and provides a handy place for the trim control. Actually, not much trim change is needed in this plane unless you load a heavy person in the rear seat. As I recall, the Beaver has overhead trim, as do many other planes. I view the elevator trim being placed overhead as a logical place, without taking up any cabin side width, but this is just my opinion.

Mike

Back