• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

chandler Az to Seattle Wa

jgerard

Seattle, WA
Looks like I am going to play ferry pilot and move a friends Taylorcraft BC12D from Chandler AZ up here to Seattle next week. I have never flown in that part of the country. Was thinking about heading out towards LA (Banning Ca) then up to Bakersfield CA - Columbia CA- Redding CA - Medford OR- McMinville OR - Seattle WA.

I sure could use any words of wisdom or recommendations from some of the California pilots about flying that route. Nothing better than local knowledge!! No electrical system only a handheld com & GPS. The only maps I have right now ( will be getting new sectionals ) are a couple of old WAC charts. Not a lot of info regarding the LA basin airspace. I bet its quite nuts down there. The rest of the route seems fine as long as I can avoid all the darn restricted areas and stay out of the desert as much as possible. Just not sure about which side of the mountains would be better to fly on between Banning and Bakersfield. LA airspace or the desert and all those Air-force basses and restricted areas?

Thanks for the help
Jason
N43643

Jason,
Instead of stopping in Columbia stop over here in Modesto easy to get in and out of and much better strip than Columbia..Stay out of the mountains and go straight up the " Valley " of central California better flying.
Whatever you do enjoy the trip it is a pretty route and be safe..

Sam
8)

Oh Yea..Use a GPS it will keep ya out of trouble with the restricted areas of the southern California desert.

Sam

8)

You can do it!

I've made the trip several times. Don't be scared of the "Restricted Areas" The bulk of the special use airspace is MOA and not Restricted or Prohibited. A MOA is advisory only and you have every right to pass through. Just be aware of hightened military traffic. The only hitch in a direct flight is the Grand Canyon. With a transponder and two way communication you can ask for flight following and go across at 3000 agl or better. Since you are sans radio you would need to go around by Peach Springs and then cut due North to Mesquite (67L). Next leg 67L to Eureka, NV (05U) then on to Burns, OR (KBNO). Head for The Dalles and plan on coming through the Columbia Gorge. Once you get past PDX airspace, follow I5 North to Seattle and home.
Or not, personally, I like the dessert. and the weather in the Willamette valley next week is supposed to be marginal. Any way you choose, have a great time!

Hey Jason,

When you get into Chandler give me a call, I'll buy you some breakfast before you head out. I've flown the route to the Central Valley many times, and the points north to WA route several times too. The route up the eastern side of the Sierras is also beautiful, but potentially hostile this time of the year. If the weather is good I'd seriously consider it. I know I probably don't have to tell you this, but the early morning is the best time to fly in the desert southwest.

We used to fly an Aeronca Chief all over the SW and paid for it during the hot months with the Chief's light wing loading. Flew the Chief like a sailplane during that time of the year.

Check your PM's, I'll send you my number.

P19 Stellar Air Park (Chandler AZ) KBLH (Blyth CA) KCCB (Cable CA) KPTV (Porterville CA) KRBL (Red Bluff CA end day one) S03 (Ashland OR) KSPB (Scapoose OR) S43 (Snohomish WA) 1447 statute miles, 16 hrs 25 min, 75 gallons of fuel and 2 great days of flying!! Thanks everyone for the input. LA basin was a piece of cake to get through. Glad I stayed out of the desert, this plane had a hard enough time at 8500K near MT Shasta with the temps in the low 60's at alt. Thanks to Mr. Don Eddie, the new owner of N321LD for letting me be the one to bring it home for him.

Jason
N43643

Sounds like a great trip - can't wait to hear about it next time I see you.

Back