• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Incoming Storm (Katrina)

Warren Aircraft

Denton Tx.
We are thinking about ya'll in the south with the incoming major storm. Be safe and don't take any chances.
Mark and Scot

When the mississippi flooded a pilot put inflatable boats under his gear it saved the plane. Good luck down there. Yard Dart

Steve Pierce said:
I hope Cajun Joe and his SC are out of harms way.

Got an email from him at 9:18 CDT. Said he couldn't decide whether to get the airplanes, and head West, or to stay home with a bucket. I advised that he get the airplanes, and head West!

Lance, Hope you guys are O.K. Let us know something when you have time.

Head West

Lance, Pat & Joe,

Go west! If you need a place for you and your planes come to Dallas. We will find places for all of you and your planes.

Scot

Didn't think about Lance, Pat and all the folks I met at Reklaw last year. Hope ya'll are all out of harms way. Hanger and apartment here if you come this far.

New Orleans WWL live coverage video feed of Katrina.

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_wwltv&props=livenoad

Hopefully Joe's too busy moving out to let us know he's OK.

Normally, being North of I-10 in Louisiana is enough to ride one out in a shelter. That may not be the case this time.

The last of my family left N.O. this morning and headed to Picayune, MS as they usually do. Because of Katrina's intensity, size, and course, they boarded up the farm and are currently caravaning North. They should turn E or West in upper Mississippi to get out of it's path. Hurricane force winds are forecast to reach as far North as Memphis.

Stay safe.

Lance , Pat and Joe. I have you and yours in our thoughts and Prayers. I pray you all fair out well and look forward to hearing from you. John

Well, we are still here. Dad and I have been working to prepare most of the day. Katrina went from 105mph last night to 160 this morning, a whole different animal.

The airplanes are in our new hangar, designed for 100+ MPH winds, but I am getting quite concerned about it now being this thing has not turned yet. Hardly anyone at our airport has flown out, hopefully we will be OK.

I have not spoke with Joe, but he may get hit worse than us. He is about 40 miles further to the east.

We are inundated with people from New Orleans, lets hope that we all should not have gone further north! :drinking:

See ya'll soon, Lance

Lance:

Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and your family. Do what you have to to keep everyone safe and sound!

Take care!

Mark and Karen

Good luck, and best wished to all in front of Katrina. I wish you all well...

I had the Cat 1 roll through here last Thursday and even then it took out alot of trees and a few trailers and lef alot of us without power and got alot of people wet but nothing compared to what is in store next for it. I would not wish that storm on my enemy!!!

Stay as safe as you all can!!!

David.

I had an email from Cajun Joe yesterday afternoon. Looks like he and Sue were headed over to stay with Joey at LSU in Baton Rouge. Sounds like he had is place boarded up pretty good with a tractor in front of his hangar doors. I'm having a good thought for the safety of people and property in the path of this one - looks like its going to be a bit rough. You all stay safe and hang in there.

Joe, Pat, & Lance - stay safe, and let us know how things are going. The planes can be replaced, you can't.

Anne.

Anne's right...STAY SAFE!

The first rain bands have already rolled through Little Rock. The wind is picking up, but NOTHING compared to what those poor folks in Lousiana and Mississippi are facing.

We made it OK. Lots of downed or broken trees and debris scattered everywhere. I have seen some, but minimal, damage to homes and businesses here locally. Also quite a bit of downed powers lines and broken power poles.

We did much better than people further east and south. I am just now getting to see pictures of the other areas on the TV.

Luckily we still have water but we are running on generator power.

Thanks for all the offers and concern.

Lance

Great News Lance. I have been thinking of you folks all day. Caught a little of the devastation on TV during lunch. Have not had the heart to turn it on this evening. Say hello to Dad and I am so happy for you. God Bless John

My Mom and Dad live in Memphis and said all the hotels/motels there are full and people have gone all the way to Little Rock for a place to stay. After looking at the pictures on the news this morning it is hard to fathom. My heart goes out to everyone effected by this storm.

My family spent the last couple of days outmaneuvering the storm and are now near Lafayette, LA attempting to reach the farm at Picayune, MS. They may get blocked at St. Tammany Parish which I believe begins near Joe's home in Hammond and the Parish was closed last night. Anyone know if I-10/12 is open Eastbound?

Most of the affected parishes and counties are closed to residents.

The New Orleans based part of this caravan doesn't expect to return home for some time. All are healthy, in good spirits, and having quite the adventure. As mentioned earlier, material things can be replaced.

Glad to hear Lance & Pat and AJ's relations are OK. Anyone hear from Joe yet?

Anne.

Anne,
I have been trying Joe's cell, but all circuits are down. Sent an email to his son Joey's dorm, but no response yet. Bet they are real busy. Will advise everybody if I hear anything.

Cell service may be spotty in the Baton Rouge area. Still in contact w/family at Duson. Expect to lose them sometime after Baton Rouge. Have been unable to make hard line contact with Slidell & Bogalusa. "Circuits Busy" msg.

It's not unusual for hard line capacity to be swamped during "events". Cell coverage is usually the first to go either due to capacity overload or power outage.

Found a decent site for road status: http://www.lsp.org/emergency.html

Local New Orleans info site w/message forum and photo gallery: http://www.nola.com/

N.O. TV site http://www.wwltv.com/

Cell service in the area is currently bad. Every once in a while you can get a call thru.

Land lines are in the same condition, we can currently receive calls but can not place any here at the house.

I am sure Joe is fine. Many people in the area are without power. LSU may also currently be off-line.

Ron, PM me Joe's cell number so I can see if he will need some help when he gets home.

AJ, I-12 east, as of mid day today, was closed. Trying to get to Picayune will be hard. The Slidell area was hammered. They may need to go north on I-55 and cut across and back south to Picayune.

Say a prayer for all those affected, there has been some major loss!

Lance

P.S. No damage at the airport.

Lance, your neighbors to the north are HERE! There are Louisiana license plates in every parking lot of every hotel here in Little Rock.

Any family members, and I mean that, that need housing, please give us a ring.

Please post when Cajun Joe gives contact!

Thanks Lance. Helo pilot/cousin honchoing the caravan is breaking off tonight to search for his daughters who've been out of contact. Passed your I-12 info with suggestion of Pearl River crossing at Bogalusa, then 43 South.

Law enforcement is getting quite nervous. Night travel highly discouraged & illegal in martial law areas. St. Tammany/I-12/10 is closed.

In my cousin's shoes, I'd do the same thing.

Ron,

Try SMS Text messaging Joe's phone. SMS's short data field size seems to get through is spotty areas better than a voice transmission.

SMS messages remain queued and are delivered when coverage recovered.

AJ,
When I try to call, I get a recorded message that says that, because of the hurricane, all service is out. Don't think I can even get a text message out. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

Sounds like your out of luck until the system is restored. SMS requires some signal to get through. Joe should be fine in BTR, but it would be nice to confirm that.

Just confirmed SMS Text Messaging is getting through to Duson, LA just W of Lafayette even though I cannot place a voice call in.

Voice was available thru last night, but now I've been getting a "Due to the hurricane.... try again later." msg or simply a busy signal.

Lost all contact with my cousin who's continuing his little adventure by leading an urban assault chainsaw gang into the disaster area via back roads. Some folks have all the fun. :)

Back