• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A Sobering Story

Nick Jans' words are riveting.

He has covered much more pleasant subject matter in his other writings I've read.

I'll buy the book, for sure.

!No question. Tim T. screwed up!

I am getting ready to go moose hunting two days from now. Where I hunt there are a lot of grizzlies. Last year we shot a 52 inch bull and in 4 days the skeleton, hide and gut pile were completely gone thanks to the local grizzlies. I sleep with a loaded Sig Sauer .45 on my chest with my hand on it. Two years ago I was up on the Sheenjek River alone and I woke up to find a huge boar grizzly near my camp. Luckily when he saw me in the morning he ran like he!!. I like seeing bears but so far I haven't been attacked. Here is one that walked right up to my Cub, stood up and leaned over the back of the airplane to look at me. Luckily this small sow just dropped down on all 4's and walked off. My gun was in the airplane and if she had been aggressive I wouldn't be typing this.

griz.jpg

Bear

In the 80's, a close friend of the family went moose hunting around Stony River. To make a long story short, they left tuna fish sandwich in the baggage area, and a big black bear just ripped the fabric until he reached the sandwich, the only guy that was left at the camp was a newby to Alaska, and he freaked out, so with a bunch of guns laying around, he took pictures instead. A roll of duck tape and plastic allowed the pilot to get back to Anchorage.

This same pilot later on did some salvage work for the insurance companies, and he retrieved a heavily damaged cub by stripping all of the fabric off, removed the tail feathers, engine, landing gear, windshield etc.
He then installed the fuselage ontop of his 135 horsepower cub and flew it back to Anchorage. True story

Torch said:
I am getting ready to go moose hunting two days from now. Where I hunt there are a lot of grizzlies. Last year we shot a 52 inch bull and in 4 days the skeleton, hide and gut pile were completely gone thanks to the local grizzlies. I sleep with a loaded Sig Sauer .45 on my chest with my hand on it. Two years ago I was up on the Sheenjek River alone and I woke up to find a huge boar grizzly near my camp. Luckily when he saw me in the morning he ran like he!!. I like seeing bears but so far I haven't been attacked. Here is one that walked right up to my Cub, stood up and leaned over the back of the airplane to look at me. Luckily this small sow just dropped down on all 4's and walked off. My gun was in the airplane and if she had been aggressive I wouldn't be typing this.

Torch,
I thought that I was the only paranoid guy out there. I never sleep in a tent unless I have my 18" 12 gauge lying right beside me with one in the chamber. When the shoot'n and sceam'n is done, one of us will be dead :yikez:
My brother had his plane stripped from the skylight back to the tail feathers by a grizzly in the Brooks Range back in the eighties. It took four rolls of duct tape, several bed sheets, and some dry spruce poles to get it back to civilization. I think he called it that new 3M pollyfiber process! Can't believe how rough they can look and still be flyable. He had been hauling sheep meat a few days prior and suspected that the small amount of blood in the baggage area had attractted the bear.
Rock
griz.jpg

Torch said:
I sleep with a loaded Sig Sauer .45 on my chest with my hand on it.

Torch, just curious..... how well do you think a .45 will do against a grizzly at close range? I remember the lengthy discussion on this site in the past, and wondering why you not use a .44 mag instead? Is there some tradeoff?

Magazine capacity, automatic, sufficient point blank energy. The 44mag auto's are heavy & bulky.
I've had a ultralight tent pounced by black bears (while I was at base camp) and now feel better with taller tents. May have more time with them coming through the side then when wrapped up like a breakfast taco in a small tent. :roll:

The .45 ACP is great for use against thin-skinned predators (as in humans) but this would *not* be my preferred caliber for any bears. .45 Colt is OK but the big-bore magnums are the minimum bear stopper: .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .500 Smith magnum, .500 Linebaugh, etc.

The shorty 870 is best bet; I'd back it up with a potent handgun, just in case you run out of room to swing it (collapsed tent, injured arm, whatever). In my case, I'd have the 870 with slugs and my .44 maggie with hard-cast, 300 grain bullets.

Big rifles are great but, you need room to maneuver. Bolt-actions can be too slow unless you practice quick follow-up shots. The magazine capacity of the big rifles is also limited. Many hold only one in the chamber, plus three in the mag well; I prefer more capacity. An M1 Garand, with 8 rounds of .30-'06 would be OK, I guess. Or a Springfield M1A with 20 rounds of .308...

Jon B.

We talked about what's best for stopping bears a bit back.

An important note is that you MUST HAVE IT ON YOU at the time you are attacked.

I was told a story about a Caribou hunter on his way back to camp following cutting up a 'bou. In the dark, smelling like bloody 'bou, he was jumped by a brownie from the side of the trail. His .44 Magnum revolver was in his chest-carry holster. He got out alive!! The brownie was found in the bushes nearby the next day...dead with 3 to center of mass (3 in the chest after "bear-hugging" the lucky? hunter).

Having it on you and being able to draw and fire would be of first importance.

I love my Titanium and Aluminum S&W529 because I don't hate carrying it. I hardly know it's there. Yes, it's back-up. Yes, I hunt with a large-caliber rifle load when hunting ungulates for meat so that I have firepower for potential bears.

NO, I've not had any bad bear experiences, they usually get the hell outta where-ever they smell me from.

As far as shooting the lightweght .44 Mag, It's an acquired taste......taken small steps at a time. :)

DAVE

Firearms make people brave, and careless. If you have a choice between walking an open trail versus walking a heavily brushed trail, both in bear country, ask yourself what you'd do if you didn't have a gun at all. I spend more time in bear country unarmed than I do armed. I can't say I behave differently, and I don't have any close calls to report. I've been close enough, but in the end, a gun wasn't the deterrent.

A well-placed clean campsite is the best bear defense. A poorly-placed, dirty, and heavily armed campsite is trouble.

People waving guns around in the dark scare me more than bears.

SB

Right On TJ!! The bears of Montana know that they are protected and act alot different than bears in area where they can get shot at. Any more I won't go into the woods here without bear spray and I mean real spray. :bad-words:

treadwell

Just caught this post, and here is my question and maybe some of you guys who fly for the feds can answer: how was Treadwell able to violate the rules of the park and harass wildlife when someone else would have been ticketed or arrested. I believe the NPS has rule that you stay at least 100 yards away from bears, yet Treadwell by the newspaper account walked up and touched them on the nose. I was told by a person who had seen the videos that he also laid in front of bears in the fetal position and said in a falsetto voice, "you're not going to eat me are you." These activities were apparently detailed in a variety of tapes he used for fundraising over his 13-year run. Clearly the NPS knew of his activities and how he approached and "communed" with bears, and certainly his own videos and written accounts provided evidence of his activities. Yet he was not cited or arrested. I know a 135 operator who spent thousands of dollars successfully fighting a harassment charge for landing (empty) over a bear in a swamp on floats. He said he did not see it and was busy landing, nonetheless he was cited for harassing wildlife. So why did the NPS tolerate Treadwell's activates which led to his death and the death of his girlfriend. Why did they let him operate in violation of their own policies. I don't get it, unless his backers and media stature made him immune to the rule of law.

media stature

A newly coined word? I've not heard it before. I like it. It lacks any positive whiff, neither for the media, nor for the media subject.

Thanks for sharing, and YEAH, what about this freaks' trespasses???? Anyone know how it all fits in?

I bought the Nick Jans' book.

DAVE

I was killing time at ANC reading the cover flap of the book written post mortem by Treadwell's colleague who asked the question "how could this happen ?" to such an expert on bear behavior ?

My question is, " Why did it take so long to happen ?" (over 10 years)

The key word hear is BEAR. Golly, even a PANDA BEAR mauled a handler last year !

Good post Slowgo.
Hmmmm....how I wish that one of the Federal types who may/may not know the reasoning of the issues brought up by Slowgo would speak up???; Well anyway I do know or know of a few who have recieved complaints or even citations for "harassing" wildlife they never saw from their airplane... :bad-words:

Is shooting a bear in the head harassment? To do so right now in Unit 13 AK residents don't even need a tag! :D
Well anyways we all know that the NPS, USFWS, DNR or Whoever, is always doing the best job they possibly can of managing millions of acres of our precious Parks in Alaska; all this too after spending our tax dollars most wisely and to the greatest benefit for all with their excellent management policies. 8)

RB

Back