PDA

View Full Version : Firestone Wilderness tires

cubchick
08-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm just checking to see if anyone else has had trouble with Firestones. My 2003 Suburban came with these tires...I remember flags going up, but we just didn't do anything about it. I've had two flats, since, from implements, but nothing like the other day. It was 100 degrees out, and the tread completely separated from the left front tire. I was doing about 65 on the highway...I was fortunate to be able to pull off onto a side road; another 15 feet (the shoulder went off into a hill) and we would have been jutting out onto the road (best case scenario).

I can see how there have been terrible accidents with Firestones. It was just my 3 children and me...somebody was looking out for us.

http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF1201.JPG

http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF1202.JPG

SJ
08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Yikes! Always check the inflation on anytire, but this looks pretty nasty to me!

sj

mvivion
08-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Cubchick,

I showed up for an SUV police pursuit driving course somewhere in Texas with a Ford Exploder, fully equipped with the offending tires, just after all the hoopla and lawsuits hit the fan.

The mechanics and instructors at the place, when asked about these tires, replied: Just keep the inflations at the appropriate levels, and they'll work fine. We checked them every day, during "pre-flight".

I set a new course record on the serpentine in a drizzly rain with those tires on the Exploder, average 61 mph on a nasty little flat course. Went through the panic braking course at nearly the same speed as I did in a police equipped Crown Vic.

That and the 50,000 miles I just put on a set on my 1/2 ton P/U here, suggested to me that bad things may happen to good tires, but these arent bad tires in at least my experience.

Proper inflation is the number one issue with tires.

Those are nasty looking pictures, though, glad you and the young ones are still here to share, and that is likely due to some good basic driving skills.

MTV

bearsnack
08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Is that a field approval or stc? :D

Cubdude
08-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Yikes! Always check the inflation on anytire, but this looks pretty nasty to me!

sj

I checked the pressure on the other 3 tires and they were all 34psi cold. The sticker on the driver's door says 35psi.

I think they are just crappy tires, my dad blew out several on his explorer and this is the third blowout on our 2 y.o. suburban. Drove my truck 10yrs on Michelins and never had a blowout after I got rid of the Firestones. I hate to admit it but the French make pretty good tires!

Jason

cubchick
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
The above post is Mr. cubchick standing by his woman! :love:

Thanks for the reponses! :) I think I'll go with the Michelins.

SJ
08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
I checked the pressure on the other 3 tires and they were all 34psi cold. The sticker on the driver's door says 35psi.

I figured as much, but it is the #1 reason any tire fails. My dad switched from firestone back to michelin way back in the day and never looked back.

sj

Frank T
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I have run Stones on my Fords for probably 4-500,000 miles with not one problem, but I kept the inflation where it should be. That said when the Stones got recalled on both my Excursions last year I upgraded to REVO's for a few bucks and have never looked back. Quieter, better ride, and better traction on wet roads. You will give up some tire life though.

Frank

Anne
08-17-2005, 02:48 PM
I detest Firestones. I replace them ASAP with Pirellis (my favorite) or Michelins (Tim's favorite) (when they come on a new car). I've had more problems with Firestones than with all other tires combined, and I get better tire life.

Anne.

cubchick
08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
When I ordered my 2003 suburban, we specifically requested that it not come with Firestones. The dealer said it was a crap shoot b/t Goodyear and Firestones. We lost. We should have replaced them right away, but we deluded ourselves into thinking that maybe they were making a safer tire after the rash of incidents. And then there's the cost factor.

sharp
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
My trucks and 4x4's have always done good with BFG AT's. Smooth on highway and does good on the beach.

teeweed
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Sharp, where is your location from Brookshire? Mark

sharp
08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm at IWS. Been just flying locally getting comfortable with the cub. I fly over Brookshire occassionally. You at Sportflyers? These afternoon thunderstorms have kept me on the ground lately :(

wateredown
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I see you have "P" 265 70 16 tires on your suburban. Those are passenger car tires and have no business on what is actually a heavy half ton truck. Lt's are for light trucks and is what you should be using. This is typically what we see when a tire is underinflated, gets hot, and explodes. The same size tire I have here in the shop calls for 44 psi and is what I would recommend if you insist on using thaat size tire. P tires are at best what used to be called four ply tires and will not last very long on that vehicle. Put it on gravel and they will be shot in six months. I have personally owned 7 suburbans and have had no touble whatsoever with Firestones or any other tire for that matter as long as they are suited for the job. You were lucky, but put the blame on the guy who put too light a tire on.

cubchick
08-21-2005, 03:55 PM
We bought it new so the tires were installed at the Chevy factory. They also recommend that they be inflated to 35psi. We intended to replace them with Michelins when they wore out but they keep blowing out and Firestone keeps giving us new tires. Hate to throw away new tires even if they are Firestones!