• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shop in Hangar / Mat-Su Taxes

duggram

ABQ, NM
How can you beat the Mat-Su property tax system with a hangar and a shop?

First, I like the idea of building a shop separate from a hangar. I'm getting my land prepared for building next year. But when the tax statements from the borough came out this year and I saw a 60% increase in the amount I pay with no changes to my property from last year, I had second thoughts.

I?m thinking of putting the shop in the hangar, which might save on taxes because I would have one less building. But the problem here is that one FIRE and you lose everything. If the shop and hangar are separate you only lose part.

My plan was to build a two-part shop (wood/metal) about 28 x 40. Then, 30 feet to the west a 44 x 44 hangar. If I made the hangar another 16 feet long it could include the wood and metal shops, and then I would be in one building.

BTW the borough is no help at all on answering this question.

I?ve also been looking at land outside of the Mat-Su Borough in Kenney Lake, Slana and Cantwell. However my family homesteaded this land and I?m the majority owner of Graham Airstrip (Chickaloon). But we are getting inundated with newcomers and the character of the neighborhood is changing. And don?t get me started on what little the borough does for our tax dollars.

Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW federal moose season opened yesterday and I will be out of town for a few days. So please don't be offended if I don't reply promply.

Thank you,
Doug

Doug:
Check with the local Fire Dept. They can give you the info on a firewall between the shop and living quarters.

Interesting topic. I have a cabin in the Mat Su Borough. I have no fire protection, no police protection, no schools, no roads so no road maintenance, no library, and the kicker....I have no vote in the borough since it's not my primary residence. I get a tax bill, right on time, delivered to my Anchorage address. I'm not sure what I'm paying for.

SB

SB said:
Interesting topic. I have a cabin in the Mat Su Borough. I have no fire protection, no police protection, no schools, no roads so no road maintenance, no library, and the kicker....I have no vote in the borough since it's not my primary residence. I get a tax bill, right on time, delivered to my Anchorage address. I'm not sure what I'm paying for.

SB

Shipping. Freight costs much more here in Alaska. (I get that all the time).
:bad-words:

Back