• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aileron/Flap D-section Notches - Necessary?

Bugs66

Spokane WA
Hi Friends,
I am building an experimental wing and my ailerons and flaps have extruded d-section spars.

I have a question about the D section notches. The D section gets notched so they clear the aileron/flap hangers. Does anyone see any reason to fully notch the sections, especially for the flaps? I am planning on leaving about 2? of section ?un-notched? on the top of the sections. This would allow almost 45 degrees ( way more than necessary) of up aileron travel. It seems this is cleaner than fully notched like Piper does. I also question the large amount of notching for the flaps since they only travel downward too.

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I can't think of a problem as long as it clears the hinge bracket and you can get them on and of the wing easily. I would give myself a little fudge factor though to make up for the changes that occur when you cover and rig the wing. Some deminsions do tend to change a little. Had an aileron rub the wing tip after the wing was covered that didn't on the pre-cover installation.

Back