• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Colt Wings on Exp Cub

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I am restoring a PA22 108 Colt and will have an extra airframe that I am considering using wings and tail to build a exp Cub. How would this work? The Colt wings would yield about 28.5 foot span on a cub airframe and would need supercub type frame wing attach points. Would use Colt tail and 0235C1B. Considering buying frame from Spraker in Fl and fittings from Northland buyers in new York. Any and all advise appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Miller (Tenn)

There are a couple of Wag Aero Cubs around here with short wings. One has Cub ailerons and does nice aerobatics. The other has a 150 hp and Tri-Pacer wings. It does pretty good I think. If you are going to use the O-235 I would make it as light as possible. I would use Cub/Clipper ailerons also to liven up the roll rate. Saw pics of your Colt in the TN Short Wing Newsletter. Looks like you are doing a real nice job.

Hey Jim,

I know from other posts that you're well advanced on your project. Where did you run your aileron cables using those Colt wings and ailerons?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Hey Jim,

I know from other posts that you're well advanced on your project. Where did you run your aileron cables using those Colt wings and ailerons?

Thanks,
Andrew.

I did mine in an unusal way. After seeing a PA16 and how the cable comes up the strut and across the bottom of the wing to lower
aileron horn I did the same thing. To accomplish this I added a second torgue tube horn 180 degrees out, keeping the original for
use of stops. Now I don't come thru wing to top horn and the cable stays totally outside the wing. The balance cable runs runs like
in the Colt and the left and right connects in center of cockpit behind pilots head. My plane only has front seat stick so I could mod
the rear of torque tube in this way. I may have a photo.

Attachments

• Floor Boards and Donna 031.jpg
    Floor Boards and Donna 031.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Jury Struts 005.jpg
    Jury Struts 005.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 142
You have some nice work there Jim!

It does not bother you that the aileron cable is running so high above the floor?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Some years back, might have even been in the late 90's, in Sport Aviation magazine there was an article about a exp clipped wing Super Cub that a guy had built. he had used Colt wings too I believe.

You have some nice work there Jim!

It does not bother you that the aileron cable is running so high above the floor?

Cheers,
Andrew.

I will rarely carry passengers and will have to warn about keeping feet off the cables. I wanted to avoid
the extra parts and work to mod the colt wings for standard thru the wing cable set-up.

Jim

Some years back, might have even been in the late 90's, in Sport Aviation magazine there was an article about a exp clipped wing Super Cub that a guy had built. he had used Colt wings too I believe.

Yes, 1995. The guy's name is Danny Bracewell. He has retained the internal cables by the looks of it. I am wondering how he has done it too!

Andrew.

I will rarely carry passengers and will have to warn about keeping feet off the cables. I wanted to avoid
the extra parts and work to mod the colt wings for standard thru the wing cable set-up.

Jim

Your system is nice and simple Jim, but I want to carry passengers regularly and perhaps do dual. Thanks for your input and prompt response. All the best with the project!

Andrew.

I did mine in an unusal way. After seeing a PA16 and how the cable comes up the strut and across the bottom of the wing to lower
aileron horn I did the same thing. To accomplish this I added a second torgue tube horn 180 degrees out, keeping the original for
use of stops. Now I don't come thru wing to top horn and the cable stays totally outside the wing. The balance cable runs runs like
in the Colt and the left and right connects in center of cockpit behind pilots head. My plane only has front seat stick so I could mod
the rear of torque tube in this way. I may have a photo.

Just from looking at your pictures, it appears that the pulleys at the side of the fuselage where the cable turns to go up the strut are the same size as those in a Cub. If that is so, with that much of an angle change in the cable, there could be excessive wear. You might consider using larger diameter pulleys. In the Cub the change in direction is very slight in this location. By placing the cable attachment up above the torque tube as you have done, the turning angle has changed considerably. The bending of a cable over a sharp angle (small diameter pulley) generates excessive internal wear in the cable. Just food for thought.

Just from looking at your pictures, it appears that the pulleys at the side of the fuselage where the cable turns to go up the strut are the same size as those in a Cub. If that is so, with that much of an angle change in the cable, there could be excessive wear. You might consider using larger diameter pulleys. In the Cub the change in direction is very slight in this location. By placing the cable attachment up above the torque tube as you have done, the turning angle has changed considerably. The bending of a cable over a sharp angle (small diameter pulley) generates excessive internal wear in the cable. Just food for thought.

Good point. Its has been a long time since I have had the cable in place and can't remember just how much of a angle it was. At the very least I need
to be aware of potential wear and keep a watch on the cable. I will have no interior in the plane and can see the cable easily.

JM

Good point. Its has been a long time since I have had the cable in place and can't remember just how much of a angle it was. At the very least I need
to be aware of potential wear and keep a watch on the cable. I will have no interior in the plane and can see the cable easily.

JM
I had a Taylorcraft BC12D a long time ago. The rudder cables go from the pedal a short distance down to a small diameter pulley then a sharp turn aft to the rudder. I found wear and broken strands at the small pulley in one years time, about 200 hours. The elevator cables next to them had a large pulley. No wear, same angle.

Back