• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What's the Definition of...

Anne

SE Michigan
Coordinated flight?? And I don't just mean "the little ball is in the middle."

Anne.

Good question Anne, it's been out here a while and nobody has replied. So maybe none of us know. All I can tell you is that it is the opposite of UNcoordiated flight and not as easy. 8)

In simple terms it means that you are keeping the fuselage pointing "straight" into the relative wind by adding the correct amount of rudder to counteract the yawing tendencies of adverse yaw associated with turns and left turning tendencies of the engine's thrust and torque. By keeping the fuselage straight you reduce drag and also keep the wings perpendicular to the airflow which is important in a stall or one wing will stall before the other giving a spin entry.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

Ah, but Steve, going around a banked race track at maximum speed would still involve some skidding. And a hey of a lot of outside G.

What more than the little ball in the center dost thou wish for, Ms. Anne?

There are many reasons to fly with the ball out of the center, but most of them are simply intentionally uncoordinated maneuvers.

MTV

Yeah Anne, you answered your own question. Coordinated flight is just that - when the ball is in the center. It is the same as feeling your weight going straight down to the seat instead of to either side.

I realize you are still scrubbing tires due to geometry but I think it is a good mental picture to visualize what the aircraft is doing verses skidding around a corner.

My instructor asked me to define "coordinated flight," and I couldn't find a formal definition of it anywhere. Is it always when the ball is centered? Or can you have coordinated flight with crossed controls? I know that I'm coordinated when the ball is centered, but what makes it centered?

Storm_pilot's answer makes a lot of sense to me, keeping the fuselage straight into the relative wind with use of the rudders.

Anne.

Anne,

You want to know the physics behind what the turn coordinator ball is telling you. Coordinated flight happens when the ball is centered and it means that you are not in a skid (too much rudder) or a slip (too little or opposite rudder).

When you bank an airplane, a component of your lift acts towards the center of the turn. That is why you pull back (pitch up) a little more to support the weight of the airplane, if you want to maintain your same elevation (because some lift is used for banking and is unavailable to support the airplane). So, the plane rolls over (with aileron) and a component of lift acts straight up and a component acts straight towards the center of the turn radius. The rudder induces yaw and yaw creates side forces to pivot the plane about it's vertical axis. The yaw is used in a bank to counter (or exaggerat) side forces induced by a roll. So in the mix are forces related to weight, lift, bank, pitch, and yaw.

Coordinated (ball centered):

With the right amount of rudder, the forces are all balanced so that it feels as if the weight is acting through the vertical axis of the plane (which is not truely "vertical" at this time). Race car on track analogy with no feeling of side forces would be: side slope of the track just right for speed/radius = rudder input just right.

Uncoordinated - Slip (ball to the inside):

With the too little or opposite rudder, the forces are all balanced so that it feels as if the weight is acting through an axis angled to the inside of the turn. You and the little ball feel like you are being forced downward/inside of the turn. Race car on track analogy with inside/downward side forces: side slope of the track too steep for speed/radius = too little or opposite rudder input.

Uncoordinated - Skid (ball to the outside):

With too much rudder, the forces are all balanced so that it feels as if the weight is acting through an axis angled to the outside of the turn. You and the little ball feel like you are being forced upward/outside of the turn. Race car on track analogy with outside/upward side forces: side slope of the track too shallow for speed/radius = too much rudder input.

How did I do MTV?

Erik

What about when I'm crabbing into the wind? I'm still in coordinated flight, but the wind is sideways to the fuselage.

Anne.

Anne,
A simple explaination of coordinated flight is "when the fuselage is parallel to the RELATIVE wind". Any time it is not you are uncoordinated.
Air mass movement across the earths surface has nothing to do with coordinated flight. The aircraft does not know it is in an air mass. It only knows it's relationship to the relative wind. As long as the ball is centered you are coordinated.
Bob

Most sailplanes have a tuft of yarn taped to the canopy. Keep the string straight, you're coordinated. Let it drift and you're not. Best instrument ever invented.

Unfortunately, doesn't work very well on most SEL aircraft, including supercubs. :cry:

Thanks. Cubscout

I was going to try the yarn trick, but had that figured out pretty quickly.

Thanks for all your replies - that helps a lot!

Anne.

Hi Anne,

I have found coordinated flight to occur when Sue says it is just fine with her if I fly to the Bahamas for a long weekend.

Uncoordinated flight will occur when I sneak away and find a lawyer waiting for me at the hangar.

Good one, Joe! I can relate to that, being married to a non-flying spouse who keeps wondering what the big deal is about actually going somewhere, all day, in the airplane.

Anne.

Crabbing

When you're crabbing into the wind your fuselage is still parallel to the RELATIVE wind. Hence, you are still coordinated.

You know I really have no business commenting on this but it appears that the guys with the knowledge are sitting back laughing themselves crazy.

With my very limited knowledge and even more limited intelligence I have to submit that you are confusing crabbing with slipping or skidding in efforts of comparison.

OK, so as not to confuse those from other ethnic backgrounds I'm speaking from a South Louisiana point of understanding. Crabbing is a term that can openly describe the aircraft's movement relative to a course made good. Seen from above the plane with a crosswind from the right would assume a position that (while coordinated and a centered ball) was pointing with its nose 5, 10, 20 degrees to the right of this course made good over the land. BUT the plane would be flying directly into the relative wind or the actual air flowing across the aircraft surface. This is crabbing just as a boat crossing a river would head into the current and crab across the river to make good a 90 degree course. That a crabbing airplane is heading directly into the relative wind is evident by the absence of wind blowing away your sunglasses.

On the other hand both slipping and skidding would be an attack on the relative wind with the front right or left quarter of the airplane and this wind would definitely be felt inside a cub with an open window.

Both terms of coordination come into play when a left crosswind landing is properly executed as the airplane crabs along the extended centerline heading into the wind perhaps 10 or 15 degrees off the runway heading then, before touchdown, the airplane is maneuvered into a slip to achieve runway heading and being uncoordinated lands with the ailerons left and the rudder right, left wing low and left wheel touching but the plane flying straight down the center and the relative wind now moving left of the nose.

I thank Joe for lending me his computer to compose this thesis.

Ruidoso Ron

Storm_pilot's answer makes a lot of sense to me, keeping the fuselage straight into the relative wind with use of the rudders.

Well it's nice to know that $50,000 degree is good for something. :-?

It's a fact! Anybody can light off a jet; just throw a match at it and stand back. But to pickle a 4360 without a backfire, using only the cockpit instruments, with 3 others already running..................Now that's art!

Back