• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bi-Plane bottom wing flaps.

T.J.

Alaska
As some of you know, I am putting the Aeromod Lodestar lower wings on my Exp. Cub. I think I figured out how to put flaps on them. The only thing, I've never seen a biplane with lower control surfaces controlled with rods. I've been cogitating on it for a couple weeks and I think I can do it with 2 internal threaded rods and Heim bearings for adjustment. I can beef up the attach points, both upper and lower, to take the pressure.
I could use some assistance on the fore/aft placement of the rod ends on both the upper and lower flaps. Any information or old pics would be appreciated.
Thanks.

TJ,

All aerobatic biplanes Pitts, Skybolt, Eagle etc. have rod controlled lower ailerons. If that's what you mean. If you go to the Biplane Hanger (google search) and check out the vault (pic gallery) someone will probably have several pics of an uncovered wing of a Skybolt. (soory, I don't know how to add the link)

KOZ on this site is a Skybolt guy and current cub builder. He could probably give you a better explaination then I.

Bob D

Bi Plane Bottom wing flaps

T.J., I was reading some older threads and came across your Aeromod one. How did you make out with putting them on your Cub and was it worth it? I have a question for you as you seem to know a bit about the experimental gig. I have a PA - 12 that I built from a wreck as an ametuer with only supervision from an AI. It is certificated now but I am wishing I would have rebuilt it as an experimental homebuilt due to the present lack of imagination from the FAA concerning field approvals on mod's. Do you know if a guy could backtrack and recertify a cert. aircraft as a homebuilt? I way more than qualify for any 51% rule. GP

Back