• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

And She Had Fun Fun Fun!!

Anne

SE Michigan
Found a great instructor! Went up both Wednesday & Thursday evenings. Did wingovers, spins (he demonstrated, I yelped), turning stalls, forward slips, falling leaf, crosswind landings (still a problem for me, but it's getting better).

A Supercub is more fun the more you know! :lol:

Anne.

GREAT! A good instructor can make all the difference in the world.

We will try to whip up some x-winds for you at New Holstein.

sj

A great instructor can make a world of difference in your confidence level -- in both your own skills, and in the capabilities of the airplane.

I once signed up for 10 hour package with pilot-extrordinaire Ed Nelson of Sidney (Cabela's home) Nebraska. Ed grew up right there as crop duster, flies nightly for FedEx and during the day runs the Sidney Muni airport and teaches aerobatics. After putting me through 6 hours of short, soft, & steep landing work on his old farm strip, we went up and spent several more hours doing spins over the top, underneath, the falling leaf thing, etc. He really taught me just how controllable a cub really is -- balky occasionally, but predictable.

Steve: maybe we could start a directory of recommended instructors with tailwheel/cub experience from around the country. I'd put Ed on the list with 5 stars.

A Supercub is more fun the more you know!

Anne.

Hey Anne,
How often do you end your flight by pulling the mixture then just sitting there for fifteen minutes or so, in the quite, listening to the engine ticking down temperature, and thinking how wonderful it all is!
Joe

Sittin there

Hey Joe,

Thanks for that, always wondered if I was weird doing the same thing.
I talk to mine too sometimes.

Jeff

A kiss on the nose, a pat on the back, a last loving look before the hangar doors are closed, and we're both happy.

Anne.

A Cub is like an old mule, it will "try" you once in a while just to see if you are still awake. I remind mine that I'm still in charge. I kick the tires, use few cuss words, and tell it, "You screw with me, and I'll turn you into a pile of scrap metal and sell you to Japan!"

Joe: I always thought it was me that just sat there staring at an ugly blue hangar door across from mine while the engine ticked down to cool. Last evening was the first time in a month of commitments , Weather and never ending bustle of work that I put it all behind walked out the door and went down to PYM and fired up Miss Daisy blasting off into a clear blue sky over Cape Cod bay. I did five cross wind landings to the pavement of PYM in the pattern behind a student in a Citabria with my instrument instructor sitting behind him. As I sat at the hold short for 24 and watched the Citabria pass in a crab I saw the thumbs up in the rear window from the instuctor telling me it does not get any better than this. Of course also checking out Miss Daisy thoroughly!!!! Well today I go fin Jeff Russell and we head off to Finleyville to Cubsunlimited and eventually Sentimental Journey. Maybe it does get better........ John

listening to the engine ticking down temperature,

You can hear after flying?? The engine makes ticking noises while cooling down??

Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time getting the recovery to a wingover right - I think my timing is off. Guess I'll just have to go out again tonight and try it again, and again, and again... :lol:

Anne.

Back