• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fish story

T.J.

Alaska
Well, a friend twisted my arm and I went fishing with him today. Halibut fishing.
Halibut4.jpg

Not huge but good eating! This one was 45" long and about 50#s. Mtn in the background is Mt. Illiamna.

TJ,...maybe a smidge on the large size, but still should still be very good eatin, yummmyyyyyy!
We've been getting a few chickens over here w/ our subsistence gear, but we don't have really good Halibut fishin on this side like you do over there.

good flying...>Byron

Tim:
Na, caught him on a dead Herring, 5 miles off shore. 90 feet of water.
Its near Deep Creek, but I can't tell you where, I'd have to shoot myself if I did!
Went again today, caught our limit, never kept anything under 36 ". Buddy caught a bigger one! 49", 52 lbs.

halibut11.jpg

Nice fish, good eating.

Go with salmon bellies. They don't come off like herring and the flapping action attracts the big ones 8) Course you then run the risk of attracting the mako's and losing everything. :-?

90 ft and five miles? You must have been just this side of the rip on somebody's secret hump known only to GPS.

TJ,

Don't shoot yourself over it or the dog won't have any company over at the moose camp! Sure miss the easy halibut fishing down here, just to get one wins a prize.

I will be back up again soon I hope!

SJ, I was in KC on the first weekend of June, sorry I didn't get time to come visit. (got a glimpse of the kind of Thunder, lightning and tornados that I remember as a kid visiting my Grandparents. We had a family reunion and visited the amusement park and had a hoot of a time.
The only seafood I ate was "Copper river Salmon" on the menu at the Westin Crown Center hotel where we stayed.

Tim

Steve,...up here we would use the bass for bait and catch a REAL fish !! (fresh halibut is hard to beat)

Longwinglover:
I heard about that eagle in Ketchikan going through the living room window with the fish. News report said it flew back out the window. Suspect it left quite a mess.

Jim

Wow when I catch a 13 inch native rainbow im jumping for joy. Looks like im going to have to go to Alaska for some halibut! Largest I ever caught was a king in ketchikan. But that doesnt even compare to that halibut. Nice fish. If anyone ever wants to do some trout fishing in PA, drop me a line, Im always looking for an overnight fishing trip.

ATCT

TJ,

I like halibut that size. They are a lot easier to deal with than the bigger ones. I just got back from Homer myself. We went out to the Barren (sp) Islands. I kept a couple about the size of the one you have. I did lose a really big fish. It was the biggest halibut I have hooked in 22 years of fishing them. It stripped almost all of my line off and then it broke the line. Captain on the boat said it was most likely over 150lbs. I would have just like to have seen it. I never was able to turn it around. Here is a pic of me and my friends and our catch. I am the second guy from the left. The one with the Chevrolet hat on.

h2.jpg

Back