• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float installation

David caddy

Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone !

We want to install floats on a experimental plane. They are CAP 2000.

What is the ''rule'' to install float: What angle with the wing and at what position (compare to CG) ??

thanks

David A

Definitely need more information than "on an experimental airplane". Landing speed, slotted wings and HP all dictate installation angles.

With a normal Supercub wing profile

300 HP as low as 2 degrees between float top and wing bottom
65 HP up to 8.5 degrees.

I mount 150 HP Murphy Rebel's at about 5 degrees

Do a really good W & B on wheels with no BS. Find the empty c of g and mark it on the fus. Find the C of G of the floats by rolling a tube under them until they balance. Mark position. Hopefully it's around 16 to 18 " from the step. If you can line the float C of G up with the airplanes empty C of G.

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry I forgot to give you the name of the aircraft: it is a Bushcaddy 160 with a 150hp (similar to murphy but with slower landing speed and cruise speed)

Thanks for your answer

David caddy said:
Thanks for your answer.

Sorry I forgot to give you the name of the aircraft: it is a Bushcaddy 160 with a 150hp (similar to murphy but with slower landing speed and cruise speed)

Thanks for your answer

I would have thought you'd get more reponses, but I guess most here are just used to installing certified premade float struts that dictate the angles for them....or possible it's 'cause it ain't a piper.

I'd say the same 5 degrees from float top to wing bottom would work well with the Bush Caddy.

What I do with the Rebel is the outer cabin floor bottom is parallel to the thrust line. I use the bottom of the cabin floor and make it 2.7 degrees nose up compared to the float tops and this gives me what I want and works well. If the Caddy's floor is also parallel to the thrust line this makes measuring a much easier job.

As for you buying into Bush Caddy's propaganda (read stall speed specs) come'on over and well have a slow flight contest....

Cheers,
Wayne

This is all I could get searching for the CG range for EDO 2000's.

Please tell me what my CG range can be for the EDO 2000's on the PA 18-A

is the rear spreader bar less than 2" under water with you standing on the dock?

if yes, check front spreader bar, is it above the rear bar in elevation, and somewhat close to a normal attitude?

if both are yes, she will fly.

If they are a no, then you need to take out a moose half.

If the front spreader bar is way higher than the rear one, or lower, you might have a problem.

I know a guy that knew a guy that was dumb enough to put an entire BIG moose in his float cub, and one hind slid back...

It flew fine, but had to keep the speed up for landing trim I am told:oops:

Thanks George. :(

I have been looking around, and I can find CG envelopes for wheels & skis, but nothing for floats. Surprising.
Please someone...

I'd like to appear legal if someone "on the ramp" wants to see the paperwork.

Yep, got that. NOTHING for floats tho. :(
Thus the inquiry here.

Section IV of the type certificate shows the W&B info for PA-18S and PA-18AS 150hp airplanes. The "S" suffix indicates seaplane.

Oh no $hit, that's too easy! (Thumping on forehead) :)
First you had to explain it to me, THEN you had to understand it for me.
Thanks (again) ya ol' SumBitch!

Back