• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oregon to Alaska in April

aktailwheel

Colorado
I'm looking for some advice on flying from Oregon to Anchorage during mid-April. I have only flown the route once before, and I did it in October last year before the snow. We'll have two people in the cub, and the normal emergency gear with snow shoes, sleeping bags, stove, tent, etc. Our route is going to be from Portland, over to Walla Walla Washington, then up to Pentickton, Prince George, and along the road most the way. I don't have extended fuel, so we'll need to stay close to fuel.

If anyone can provide information about what to expect enroute, what to avoid, and what to bring I would be appreciative. One question I have is preheating - do most airport FBOs in Canada have a preaheater we can use or will we need to be self sufficient? I have a little pre-heater that runs on those coleman canisters and plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet for power. I'm thinking of bringing this but it means finding power, and carrying canisters. Should I bite the bullet and buy a Northern Companion? Also, can I run the heater blower off the cubs cig. lighter or is that just a stupid idea (drain the battery). In Alaska I have always used the pre-heater I have, and on trips brought one of those little emergency battery systems that you can jump a car with, I run the preaheater off that and it works pretty well - but this starts to talk a lot of weight and stuff in the cub, already with two people and fuel, and survival gear...

Thanks for the advice,
Aktailwheel

Oregon to Alaska

If you need a place to stay in Fairbanks, give me a shout.

By the way, hot tip. Do not tie your cub to any fuel trucks in Whitehorse! :crazyeyes:

Randy

I would urge you to consider the weather at departure time. I have spent many days thinking about one route, then changed at the last miniute to accomodate good weather on the other.

I prefer the coast. Yes, long flight to fuel, but with Bella Bella having fuel, you only need to worry about a 2 hour flight. (check with Bella Bella prior to heading out.) Also, coming out into Rupert from Prince George is great. But, flying the coast from Juneau or Sitka to Cordova is the most beautiful flight anywhere.

I carry a camp stove and a piece of stove pipe to pre heat with. Gett a bell on the end. That way the weight is minimal, as the stove should be in anyway. Yes, fans are nice, but really not needed most spring days.

I have made the trip many times with different planes, it can be fun, and fuel is not as far as you think.
George

aktango58 said:
I would urge you to consider the weather at departure time. I have spent many days thinking about one route, then changed at the last miniute to accomodate good weather on the other.

I prefer the coast. Yes, long flight to fuel, but with Bella Bella having fuel, you only need to worry about a 2 hour flight. (check with Bella Bella prior to heading out.) Also, coming out into Rupert from Prince George is great. But, flying the coast from Juneau or Sitka to Cordova is the most beautiful flight anywhere.
George
I agree...
I spend a lot of time in the Juneau and Glacier Bay area in the summer. The beauty is unsurpassed. If it looks like you are going to have good weather for a few days, take the coast route.
Chuck - The Skagway Pilot

Back