• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question For all you gun experts

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd look at a revolver for survival use. In Alaska it would be .44 mag or larger. A .357 would be the absolute minimum. As far as keeping it in the plane all the time go with stainless steel. I've looked at the Highpoint and am not impressed. As in anything you get what you pay for.

Keith

Do you mean bear defence survival or keeping yourself fed survival. If bears or nasties are a concern I would go no smaller than a .44, maybe even a .454 Casull or .480 Ruger. If you just wanted to keep critters in the stew pot, a .22 Mag should do the trick. But hey, Im in Canada and cannot carry a handgun in the woods, so my opinion is not well educated.
Like WWhunter says, you get what you pay for.
One thing about a handgun, practice practice practice. The tool is no value to you unless you are proficient in its use.
Cheers!

How about a Thomspon Contender with an extra barrel or two? .22 or .410 for rabbits and small birds, .44 or larger for big game?

I prefer my old Mossberg 12 gauge. It's not worth much, but it packs a wallop.

However, while hunting, I carry a S&W .44 mag in a chest holster when I'm in bear country, including when I'm packing a big pack and rifle. In close quarters, I can manipulate a pistol faster and easier than a scoped rifle. And with a 44 I can deliver 6 Cor Bon solid bullets accurately and quickly, with good recoil recovery from the previous shot. That's my gripe about the big single-action pistols that are so popular. They kick butt, but you'll likely get one shot, maybe two, in the time I can squeeze 6. The potential damage I can quickly inflict, even with a miss or two, is comforting.

SB

I assume by survival gun, you want a "Do it all gun". Any handgun chambering is marginal for "survival" (except maybe the 454 Casull or 500 SW but these are high $$) but 40 S&W is good for a rabid fox at best let alone anything larger. If you want a cheap yet rugged and reliable "Alaska do it all handgun" get a Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless in 44 Mag. used at a Gun show or pawnshop. Even new they are pretty cheap.

My choice for an airplane handgun for years was the double action Ruger Redhawk stainless 44 mag with the 5.5" bbl. The 7.5" bbl lengths are too long for packing around in my opinion. 44 Mag ammo is available everwhere and you can get hot loads for it from Buffalo Bore and Cor-Bon using hard cast heavy bullets for critters that bite. Also you can put shotshell loads into it for Ptarmigan and small game for food gathering.

For what it's worth, Bruce

Hi,
I am with Stewart on the shotgun; Slugs, Shot, Flares, makes a versatile
weapon. With a pistol grip & 18" barrel, which detaches you can make it fit into an under-seat storage box and it packs a wallop.
Dave.

I've got to agree with Dave. A compact pump action shotgun is cheap, versatile and effective. It's also a lot easier to hit with when you're cold, wet, hungry and injured. I would get a stocked version, broken down it's still very compact and is much easier to shoot well than a pistol grip only.

I agree with the comments regarding the shotgun and its versatility. A note on the pistol grip suggestion, though is to find a folding stock, rather than a pure pistol grip stock. You'll find the first time you shoot a pure pistol grip stocked pump action shotgun that the recoil is less than pleasant, and the accuracy sucks. Really sucks. There are some pretty decent folding stocks out there.

As to storing the gun, any gun in an airplane, I'd be really careful. There's no way to lock most airplanes, and even if you were to lock it up, its easy to get in. If someone gets your gun out of there, then commits a crime with it, especially a nasty one, you can bet it'll be traced to you, and there is a very high liklihood you'll face civil action for leaving your gun laying around.

Personally, a gun is the last piece of survival equipment I feel is needed, in Alaska or elsewhere.

And, yes, I do carry a gun for bear protection, but I would never leave a gun in an airplane. Way too much risk of it disappearing, and I'd rather take my chances with a bear than with an attorney for the plaintiff. At least I trust bears, and kinda like them.

MTV

870Rem.jpg

Forget the pistol, you might shoot yourself in the foot or really piss the Bear off.

Pistol - better not land in Canada

Our northern neighbors don't permit handguns, even as survival weapons.
Don't land in Canada with a pistol on board..

Glassjet,

You need to define what you mean by a survival firearm. We covered this thread awhile back with the same basic array of opinions. Do you want to defend yourself against bears, people, hunger, or boredom?

A .22 pistol will do a lot if all you want is something to pot the odd grouse or ptarmigan. If you have an issue with bears, then a shotgun with slugs makes a whole lot more sense. Additionally, you can load shotshells for small game and some meteor flares to signal for help. I carry a single shot break open stainless 12 ga. with a 22" barrel that takes down and fits in my survival kit bag. It costs around $125. A stainless pumpgun works well also, though it is heavier and will cost at least twice as much.

Sidearms can be useful if you have the time and inclination to become proficient - sort of like flying a cub. Whatever you choose, become familiar with it and practice, practice, practice.

Glassjet,

Check the new state regs. The firearm requirement is gone. No longer required, nada, etc.

If you want something to get a squirrel burger with, get an AR 7 survival .22 takedown rifle.

Or, just forget the gun altogether, and you'll probably relax more, not having to worry about the dang thing.

MTV

glassjet said:
I wouldn't even consider shooting a bear with a 44 unless it was coming down on me and than I would wait til he was close enough to shove the gun down his throat.....

Your first post mentioned survival. Survival implies large game killing ability and bear defense. If you're going to carry only one firearm in the airplane, and that firearm is going to be a handgun due to size and weight, that's the whole point of carrying a 44 mag revolver. No one is advocating that it's a good defensive choice but it's way better than smaller calibers for bear defense, is useful for plinking and recreational shooting with light loads.

If bear defense is not at all on the agenda for this gun you want, then just get whatever you like....why ask what we all carry? Depending on my mood and destination, I take Ruger 22's, 45 autos, Glock 40's... who cares, it's just a recreational decision at this point right?

And to Mike V. why should he relax more without a gun? Last I checked it was a federal offense to tamper, damage or vandalize an airplane. If his gun is stolen from the airplane and used in a crime, it's not like he left it "laying around", the airplane and it's environs are fairly sacrosanct. Having said that, I agree with you that one should remove firearms from the plane at the end of the day, on general principles for security, maintenance, useage elsewhere etc.

One final thought: As a firearms and airplane enthusiast, I feet one of the great priveleges we enjoy in Alaska is the ability to fly into the deep bush, land on public lands and shoot firearms recreationally, responsibly and safely where no one will ever hear your shots, and with no outside interference, with range rules, fees and limited range hours etc. I can't think of too many places in the lower 48 where you can do this.

I have learned not to leave your survival equipment tucked away in your airplane and expect it to be there when you need it the most. I recommend taking a inventory of your survival equipment place it in a small soft sided pack and then take it in and out of the plane as you need it. The soft sided pack will be well appreciated if you need to hike. Being your not worried about the gun being stolen or rusting away you might want to invest into a higher quality gun that has proven reliability and is accurate (TC contender with scope). After all your buying it because your life may depend on it.

As far as caliber used to gather food a 22 LR, 22 mag or a 223 should do just fine. The big plus is you can carry a pocket full of bullets with you, in the event your sights are off :wink: and your out for a extended time.

Bear protection is a whole nother subject. First rule pay attention avoid the bear. Second rule if encountered give him room. Third rule if he charges stand your ground and hope his charge is false. If the first three rules are not applicable your going to want a 375 H&H. Myself I would be more worried about eating then being eaten.

Cub_Driver

CubDriver,

Good points all. I've always thought the TC Contenders with a couple barrels would be an excellent carry gun for an airplane, but always balked at the price. I've never shot one, but they look like very well made equipment, and offer a lot of options on caliber (but not .375).

Hey, a short barrel contender in .375: One round would take your mind off even a charging bear, I'd bet.....

MTV

:) My contender in 35Rem packs quite a punch and groups about 1" @ 100 yards. Maybe this with a .410 extra barell would be a pretty good combination.

Carry what you know you can shoot.

I just love my modified Marlin .454 it is short, easy to swing, packs a punch and very much like the carbines I grew up using. I have put a lot of lead thru it.

I bought a new Scandium.44 Mag S&W for sholder carry, but I'll still lug that big Dan Wesson .44 mag until I think I can shoot the scandium as well.

Bullet placement is the entire game for survival.

I always get a chuckle about the folks that want to cary a smaller bore to kill food. There must be a lot more game in other parts of Alaska. If you want to eat carry fishing gear.

GR

Question for all you gun experts

Don't know it all but have been caught several times away from the Cub with no weapon when one was needed. Tried the Remington 12 ga. pump slugster (short barrel with all the trick stuff, knock down stock, quick release sling, five rounds, starting with "00" buckshot then every other round a slug. never carry it, too heavy, cumbersum, etc. Then pistols, they get the same way, too heavy if it gets the job done when your life depends on it. Then comes the Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum. It gets the super lightweight treatment this year as the Model 329 Airlite. Weighs only 28 ounces. Features include a Scandium N-size frame, Titanium cylinder and 4-inch stainless barrel inside a 6061 aluminum alloy barrel shroud. Yep it's not nice to shoot but you "will" carry it because you don't know it is there. Really, really lite. I carry it in the chest holster they sell here in Alaska. You can get get four to six rounds off in the time it takes to unslung the the pump shotgun. It's not for fun shooting. It will give you a sting that will remind you that you discharged it for minute or so. But it will hurt a lot less than a bear chewing on you while you are still conscious or destroying your aircraft in the middle of no where. Bears are one of the few mammals that don't kill their prey first before eating it!! The pistol is removed from the aircraft with the GPS after every flight.

Dumb question from those of us that have to fly through Canada and therefore won't be carrying a handgun... in light of the new carry laws in Alaska, is it permitted to open carry long guns in non-rural areas? I.e. will anyone hassle me if I go walking down 4th Avenue in Anchorage with an 870 slung over my shoulder (hypothetically)? :wink:

Or when visiting the big city do you just leave it in your airplane (locked in pod) or in the hotel? Is that safe?

Christina Young said:
Dumb question from those of us that have to fly through Canada and therefore won't be carrying a handgun... in light of the new carry laws in Alaska, is it permitted to open carry long guns in non-rural areas? I.e. will anyone hassle me if I go walking down 4th Avenue in Anchorage with an 870 slung over my shoulder (hypothetically)? :wink:

Or when visiting the big city do you just leave it in your airplane (locked in pod) or in the hotel? Is that safe?

I'm willing to bet that nobody will hassle you if you carry an 870 down 4th Ave. - especially if you keep your finger on the trigger. Actually, you probably don't want to go into any bars, banks, or government buildings with any sort of a firearm. Carrying one in the open on the street is not illegal, but you might get a few looks from the tourists.

How do you lock your cargo pod? Is it a Firmin or Landes?

Why do you need a gun? Do you expect to piss somebody off?

Alaska law no longer requires pilots to carry firearms.

SB

Christina Young said:

The last time I read the police blotter in Fairbanks about someone that carried a weapon in the open downtown they were picked up by the Fairbanks police and taken off of the street for being a public nuisance. Someone called the police and complained about them. They were not charged but they were removed from the street as to ease the worries of other people. I wouldn't carry openly in Fairbanks or Anchorage. I would virtually guarantee that you will get some attention from the local police.
A lot of people have the misconception that Alaska is wide open when it comes to weapons. Actually compared to some other states Alaska is pretty conservative as to what any ONE citizen can do with a gun. Each state/county/city have different laws/ordinances concerning weapons. My guess is you better know what the local laws are before you start trying to be John Wayne.

JW aside, we carry two firearms aboard. The first is the combo .22/.410 rifle. lite, handy and a great game getter. The other is in the states, a model 29, .44 with 4" stainlesss and 305 gr Corbons. If in Canada, it's the Marlin guide gun in 45/70 with 505 gr bullets.
I enjoy going where I am no longer the top of the food chain, but don't feel an obligation to lay down. "If you kill it, eat it".

question for all you gun experts

my two cent's worth ,and i don't claim to a expert on anything,but my own personal opinion.
i just ask to you to really think of what the final out come of thing's really going to heck,whether it's in town(where it's really scary)or in the wood's.do you really belive there is going to a law enforcement person
there to protect you,chance they will show up maybe in time to write the
report on what might have happened to your departure from from this
earth!
i try to not be in bad situation,but in the event of not being able to control
that,alway's try not to be out gunned.
most time's it's better to have too big of a firearm,than too little,or not
enough of them,unless you can't control the delivery of the mean's of
stopping what ever is getting ready to send you to the happy fly'n
ground's!
torch,probably taking your post incorrectly,but it scare's me to think alaska is being swayed to thinking the only one to be trusted with a
firearm,is law enforcment. i belive if we were still pack'n maybe the
thug's would think about it a little before they tried to take what you worked hard to obtain. now critter's that's just being the wrong place at the wrong time,(most of the time),you just have to decide to live or die!

it's just my opinon

jr.

That's what I thought. It was only a hypothetical question, after seeing the recent headlines.

SB said:

SB

Give me a break, SB. Just because they no longer require it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Why did they used to require it? Have those conditions that originally required it changed that dramatically, or have they just been changed to satisfy the forces of political correctness?

Also, I think your assertion that you only need a firearm when you are going to piss someone off is ludricrous. Let me guess.... do you belong to the Brady Bunch?

P.S. When you go on extended flying trips in remote areas, do you carry one with you? Why or why not?

Torch said:
Each state/county/city have different laws/ordinances concerning weapons. My guess is you better know what the local laws are before you start trying to be John Wayne.

Torch, my understanding is that the new Alaska law that's going into effect says that no municipality can have stricter gun control laws than the state. Is my understanding correct?

BTW, I have no intention of behaving like John Wayne :eek: - I just wondered what to do when I fly into these populated areas. Maybe just rent a car and keep it in the trunk?

Christina Young said:
That's what I thought. It was only a hypothetical question, after seeing the recent headlines.

SB said:

SB

Give me a break, SB. Just because they no longer require it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Why did they used to require it? Have those conditions that originally required it changed that dramatically, or have they just been changed to satisfy the forces of political correctness?

Also, I think your assertion that you only need a firearm when you are going to piss someone off is ludricrous. Let me guess.... do you belong to the Brady Bunch?

P.S. When you go on extended flying trips in remote areas, do you carry one with you? Why or why not?

I carry a gun when I have intentions to use one. Same goes for other tools. I've never been in a situation where I needed a gun except when I was hunting. My shotgun hasn't been in the airplane for a couple of years.

Do you carry a gun when you fly in New Jersey? How about when you visit the city?

If you're worried about survival, carry a sat phone. The availability of assistance is dramatically better than it's ever been here. It makes infinitely more sense to drop a dime than to play Grizzly Adams. If you feel you need a gun, do what everybody else does. Leave it in the plane.

Most visitors to Anchorage worry about having enough film, or ask what new restaurant is the best. You ask a public forum if you can walk the streets of a city carrying a rifle? Give ME a break.

SB

Back