• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Caribou, Caribou, Caribou?

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
Sounds like the caribou are all in hiding? does anyone know where the caribou might be hiding...... Also heard there is alot of open water out there.... Anyone have any accurate ifo? Looking at doing a trip out in the next few weeks...... Thanks.... Corey

Greetings Corey,

Save yourself some 100LL, don't plan a trip out in this area if you're thinking about finding a Caribou. I'm pretty in-tune with whats going on in unit 17, there ain't no Caribou around here :-?

Of course I've been around long enough to remember WHAT a Caribou looks like, if you're interested....the next time I see one (or might see two) I'd be glad to write back w/ a full report...........

good flying..>Byron

Sure, Byron. We believe you.

It's good that the whole internet doesn't know where they are.

Consider that the next time you post a location report :D

The Caribou are the ones that run all day and male and female both have antlers, right?

Hey David...thanks for the heads-up with the specfic details to look for when identifing a Caribou, I'll keep my eye's open :eek: :eek:
(throughout the whole winter I thought they might be denned-up somehwhere sleeping.....naw, ain't that bears that do that?)

Torch, I think you got the right idea! Western Arctic Herd. I haven't hunted that area for Bou, yet, of course in the past we USED to have some around here.
That said, you guys might need a same-day-airborne season during the winter/spring like we have, good way to get meat.

good flying..>Byron

Luke_theDrifter said:
Hey David...thanks for the heads-up with the specfic details to look for when identifing a Caribou, I'll keep my eye's open :eek: :eek:
(throughout the whole winter I thought they might be denned-up somehwhere sleeping.....naw, ain't that bears that do that?)

Torch, I think you got the right idea! Western Arctic Herd. I haven't hunted that area for Bou, yet, of course in the past we USED to have some around here.
That said, you guys might need a same-day-airborne season during the winter/spring like we have, good way to get meat.

good flying..>Byron

I think they have a same day hunt around Kotzebue this spring. Check the regs. I usually only get to WORK out there so don't get to hunt. Some of the eskimos said there are bunch right near town now.

Damn. I wandered into the Sportsman's Den unknowingly.

Are you scouting for caribou in your Smith xCub, maybe?

Ok, so I'm a pain in the rear. I admit it. I *did* give a thought that this particular post was regarding a homebuilt DeHaviland Caribou; no such luck. (Did DeHaviland make the Caribou, or is my mind really that far gone?)

Jon B.

Jon B. said:
Damn. I wandered into the Sportsman's Den unknowingly.

Are you scouting for caribou in your Smith xCub, maybe?

Ok, so I'm a pain in the rear. I admit it. I *did* give a thought that this particular post was regarding a homebuilt DeHaviland Caribou; no such luck. (Did DeHaviland make the Caribou, or is my mind really that far gone?)

Jon B.

Yes DeHavilland did make the caribou. Jon, you still have a mind.

0626caribou3.jpg

Danger, Will Robinson! Thread drift ahead.

Torch: is this the one that that Navy calls the C-2 Greyhound? I think they use(d) it for pax & mail delivery to carriers.

DeHavilland builds (built?) some very nice iron! And, their names for the aircraft is nice, too: Beaver, Otter, Caribou... Visions of boonie flying come to mind just thinking about them.

Hmmm... Does anyone make a Beaver kit for the homebuilder? I guess there's the Murphy Moose, with a round engine.

Jon B.

Jon B. said:

Torch: is this the one that that Navy calls the C-2 Greyhound? I think they use(d) it for pax & mail delivery to carriers.

Jon B.

Jon, just found a pic of one on the net so I don't know the answer to that. There used to be an outfit out of Anchorage that had some and they would fly in and out of Kotzebue in the summers hauling freight. One of their planes crashed and I haven't seen them since.

It isn't called Thread drift, the correct internet term is my thread was HIJACKED. I see a lot of that on this forum but its okay. Its all fun. Of course til someone loses an eye. :lol: :lol:

Jon B. said:

DeHavilland builds (built?) some very nice iron! And, their names for the aircraft is nice, too: Beaver, Otter, Caribou... Visions of boonie flying come to mind just thinking about them.

Hmmm... Does anyone make a Beaver kit for the homebuilder? I guess there's the Murphy Moose, with a round engine.

Jon B.

Jon,

The Caribou was the DHC-4, or the C-7 and as far as I know they were only referred to as Caribou. From all sources, the Caribou was a fine aircraft, and an amazing performer, but was out classed by its bigger brother the turbine DHC5 Buffalo. Sadly, that aircraft was never type certified in the US, although the military did operate a few of them, if memory serves me.
Nope on the Beaver kit. A shame, the Moose looks great, but is still quite a bit smaller.

Torch,
I believe Greatland Air Cargo shut down after they lost their last Caribou (N2225C or something). I think the same folks operated a Buffalo for a couple years on Public Service flights, but I believe stopped that too. Too bad, THe buffalo would beat the heck out of a CASA

Bill

Jon - The Greyhound (C-2) was built by Grumman and is the current NAVY COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) bird. It looks like a widebody version of the E-2C Hawkeye sans radome disk. The Caribou and Buffalo were military birds but used by the Army - not Navy (nor the USAF if I remember aright). The 'Bous saw service in 'Nam. Often used to fly into firebases and SOF camps.

No I'm not home yet! Still feeding the horses in Illinois. You gotta' see the skiplane video we did this year (mucho fun + obligatory take your hat off pass by Mr. Side Lake) - as well as the Hudson Bay run that bro Dan decided to skip for NZ.

Brad

Short field take off @ 28,500lbs calls for rotation at 45KTS.

Would haul a lot of caribou, too.

I plan to head out hunting caribou in a few weeks. I have not been on that side of the Alska range this winter. Did Illiamna lake even freeze this year?

Cub_Driver

Back