• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

American Legend Aircraft new cub builder?

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I noticed an add for this company in my EAA magazine last night. The add and website shows a cub type logo, out of Sulpher Springs Texas. Anybody know anything about them. The add piqued my curiosity.

Any web site address? I didn't notice the ad, will have to check my mag.

I called the number listed, a receptionist (answering service?) took my name and number and said 'Tim' would call me back. She asked if I was looking for a mechanic or to buy an airplane.

We'll see what Tim says about their venture when he calls.

Marc

Tim has posted here awhile back.I beleive this is a pa11 replica geared to the sport pilot.He seems like a good guy.Dont take this as fact it was awhil ago and i am wrong lots.

Tim...is LegendTim on this forum. He's posted a couple of times. Invited all supercub.org folks to use his vendor area at Sun N Fun for a meeting place. I think they're building a PA-11 replica.

This is the response I got back from Tim today.

We will have our spec sheets out towards the middle of March. Our web site will also be up towards then. Our airplane is a PA-11 style aircraft. It has the fuselage of a supercub with a 3? wider cockpit. We used J-3 wings with PA-11 struts. The wing attach points are outboard like a supercub and the fuel is in the wings(two 12 gal.) which enables you to solo from either seat. The engine is a Cont O-200 producing 100hp with alternator and starter. It will come standard with both left and right clamshell doors. Our options will be BRS parachute, VG?s, floats, Dynon EFIS, Garmin radios/transponder, and you can choose from either a PA-11 closed cowl or a J3 open cowl. We will be certified under the ASTM standards. Our empty weight should come in around 850# and gross to be 1320#. We are shooting for a price point in the mid 60?s. You are welcome to call me any time to receive more info at 214-802-5818. Thanks for your interest.

I have been to Legend A/C in Sulphur Springs. Nice set up and nice workmanship. I think it will be a neat nitch in the Sport Pilot market and would definitely be my first choice. I met the guys there and they seem to know what they are doing and seem to be in for the long haul.

WEBESLO (Don Reeder) and I spent several hours at the facility in Sulfur Springs last Saturday Getting the grand tour. I was really impressed with the fuselage jig and the workmanship that was evident on the 1-1/2 airplanes that were done. It looks like they are achieving a nice balance between tradition & innovation. For example they are using honeycomb fiberglass for all of the floorboards and the doors. They will be using the EFIS flight instruments which seem to provide an improvement in weight and reliability over the old steam gauges.

Another thing that impressed me was that unlike most startup operations who take deposits on to secure "early delivery dates" and sometime never deliver, these guys wont take your money if you beg them to.

I'm sure that anybody who is in the neighborhood would be well received if they wanted to stop by and have a look.

Maybe Don could chime in here with his impressions.

So, you were begging?

Seriously, this will be a great machine for the old or young who can't come up with that medical.

And alot of us others would have tons of fun in this a/c as well. Just yesterday I was talking about one of my projects (a 799pound PA-11) and was given the opinion that it may be the ideal airplane for the times given fuel prices these days and.....what....4.9 gallons an hour of fuel burn........

Power to weight ratio of a 100HP / 800-1350 pound airplane is identical to that of a 150HP / 1200-2000 pound airplane.......but the -11 has the advantage of a lighter empty weight, thus a more fun a/c to fly when on the light end.

A internet friend from PYM Mass. was real interested in this MFG. and just today e mailed me the info. It appears that the target cost is in the 60's delivered with the basics. It sounds like a good mix between a Pa11 and the SC. He was however complaining that the useful load was low. I need to do more research before I can provide any criticsm either constructive or bashing. ............What do you think SJ and WLT is the more kinder Miss Daisy or what? Ha HA John

You are limited to 1320 lbs for sport pilot. They are using new O-200 for an engine. Not much weight to play with. We all know it will fly over 1320 lbs. Look at the 90 hp SC.

Legend Aircraft - Looks like a great product and A-1 Co.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A WINNER!!!!

I live not far (17 miles) from Sulphur Springs and Legend Aircraft. I go in the factory fairly often and can promise you they are doing it right. These people have ethics and integrity and are turning out a great product. It appears to be the perfect aircraft for the new sport pilot category, but also provides a lot of the advantages of the SC at an "economy" price for a new airplane.

Stop by and look anytime you are in the East Texas area. I am going to use their booth as a "Central Point" at Sun&Fun. Anyone looking for me can leave a message there and I'll get it.

Gene Herzog

What will they cover it in?

Is the fuselage 4130 or something else? Tigged or Wirefeed?

Tail feathers balanced?

Whose wing parts?

Flaps? Extended wings?

What tailwheel? Main gear length? Brake style and make?

Stock cowl or some Fiberglass thing?

If they shuck the starter, alt., battery, and electrics, the thing could carry a few other mods for safety and fun.

If this thing is kept to a very light empty weight (under 800 lbs.) nothing will beat it with one aboard. That's right top-CC boys and other 180HP'ers, remember, we're all flying on the same amount of wing here, and light will always win out in takeoff performance beacause the available lift will pick up a light one sooner.

I wonder if the BRS parachute and floats are considered as part of the gross weight or if one can add them on without penalty as "safety" items without taking useful load off the a/c.....ala, the part 103 ultralights and their parachutes, floats, etc.

Sorry for all the questions. I guess I oughta call Tim.

anyway, good press for him to have it typed out here for the casual lurker!

What will they cover it in?
Poly-fiber.

Is the fuselage 4130 or something else? Tigged or Wirefeed?
4130. Tig.

Tail feathers balanced?
Yes.

Whose wing parts?
There own. Stamped rib like Univair.

Flaps? Extended wings?
No. No.

What tailwheel? Main gear length? Brake style and make?
I don't know about the tail wheel. Main gear has springs (no bungees)and appeared to be standard length. I think they are Cleveland brakes with that gold anodized master cylinder with Matco cylinders (I forget the make).

Stock cowl or some Fiberglass thing?
Not sure about the cowl.

If they shuck the starter, alt., battery, and electrics, the thing could carry a few other mods for safety and fun.
I asked about that and they said if you will sign some liability waver they will sell it with no electrics.

legend cub

Tail feathers... J-3 type (not balanced)
Wings & ribs ... our design (similar to Smiths)
Tail wheel..Maule
Main gear.. HD std. length
Brakes... Matco MC / Grove wheels/brakes 800X6
Cowel... all aluminum J-3 or PA-11

With the price of gas going up they will sell all they can produce

Tim

I hope these guys have found a way to get this thing in the air for "the mid 60's" as far as price.

It's imposssible for one to buy all the pieces for a PA-11 for that price. These guys are talking about a GREAT bargain even if the price were higher, like 80K, for a NEW, TURN-KEY fun-flivver.

Do I sound excited?

I have almost the same air craft my fuselage is 2in wider wings same as pa11 but mount out board. eng 0290g coll spring on gear 850 6 with ccleveland wheels brakes 2 18 gal tanks REG EXP BUILT 1994 GOT hailed on 2003 got recovered 2004 .
flies like a cub.

I called about a month ago - Tim called back immediately! I said I already had a Cub but was enthusiastic about the Sport version. One thing I can add is that the wing will attach as the PA-18 does, allowing for lots more room up front. I am hoping that axle config. will allow the Grove 8:00x4 installation. Tim said they wouldn't offer too many options, to keep the price down - hence the 6:00 wheel/tire, which saves around $350 right off the bat!

I think this is the aircraft that will control the light sport rating. It is enough of an airplane to really train pilots, yet avoids much of the complications of type certification. Besides, you can't touch a halfway good no-radio PA-11 these days for much less! Sure hope we can get one on the line out here!

Got an email from Pat his morning . Said they had been flying ship one for two days and it met and exceeded they highest expectations.

I wrote an email to them and got a response back very quickly - I appreciate that!

They said that the airplane is about 850 pounds. With 25 gallons fuel, that is too much for two at 175 pounds each and full fuel. This is the same problem I had in a J3 with 24 gallons capacity. However, in this airplane they have sight tubes in each tank, which helps alot when you aren't topping up the tanks.

Thanks Tim I am glad to hear that your tests are going better than ever expected. See you at SNF. LIVE FREE and FLY :usa .......John

At 850# this is almost as good as it gets. Sure, full fuel will put you over gross - so remove one tank, and restrict the other to about ten gallons.

Same thing with the Super Cub on Wipline amphibs - one pilot and 6 gallons, I believe, will about do it.

Do not even hint that these things ever fly over gross! We have clubs at my airport that insist on filling their 152's after each flight. Take one of those out with two average adults and imagine an engine failure on takeoff - over the freeway (at 200'agl). Put the same load in that Legend and I can practically guarantee 800'agl at the same spot, legal or not! A"U" turn is not only possible, but it has been done!

Back