• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any experince with Continental's E-225-8 Engine

KelvinG

Talkeetna, AK
I'm still researching various engines for my 4 place experiential cub kit. I?ve been searching the net and have not found much bad information on this engine. Seems like the case tends to leak a little oil, but I can live with that. You are limited to a minute at max RPM but I don?t see a problem with that either. I like the weight to HP on this engine and the fact it's low compression, (auto fuel).

Does anyone have any experiences with Continental's E-225-8 225 hp engine? Reliability, parts availably, cold weather operation, rebuild expertise in Alaska?

Thanks,
KelvinG

I think the overhaul cost on the E- series Continentials make a lot of Bonanza owners convert to O-520's. I beleive the bearing sets are particularly expensive. A Bonanze website would be a good place to post the question as all of the pre-60's models used some version. If you want the best weight to HP ratio, might look at the TSIO-360 TCM, up to 225HP on a turbo's model.
Chris

E series

Kelvin,
I have flown behind several E series continentals. They are typically a little slower turning than "normal" engines, but fine powerplants although somewhat aged. Basically, they are early 0-470 designed engines, but many parts are not interchangable with the 0-470 series. Why not just get a real 0-470? These are pretty common as aircraft engines go, and can use auto fuel up to the "U" series.

Mike

Chris & Mike, thanks for the reply.

Chris,
I don't think the turbo 360's can run auto fuel and if oil stays at this $45.00 a barrel price, $6 to $8 dollar a gallon aviation fuel would not surprise me.

Mike,
Most of the O-470's dry weights are in the 415lbs+ range. The type data sheet lists the E-225 as 347lbs. I read on one of the Beech owners web site the reason they made the O-470's was Continental engineers thought 225hp was too much for light weight E-225 cases, so they added approximately 80 lbs of metal to the case and crank. I have been unable to find any real world information that their concerns were founded. Seems like the E-225's are still running fine.

I'm still open on engine ideas but the E-225-8 seems to have the right combo of power, weight, auto fuel, and price to me. Now if I just find someone that has one of these nasty old 0 SMOH engines they want hauled off! :roll:

KelvinG

I don't think the oil tank/cooler was part of the dry weight of the engine. It is a dry sump so easier to make aerobatic. The main problem is the accessories stack on the back case forcing you to put it farther out front than you probably want. Especially if you put a constant speed prop on it. Check your CG and firewall clearances with a governer installed.

Cimarron,
Well, I bought the engine. I bought a freshly overhauled Beech electric prop to go with it. Best I can figure the CG will work out for me.

I have another question for the group. I need to build an engine mount for this installation. So far the only drawings I've been able to find are Navions and they used a beefed up cowling for their engine mount. Anyone know of drawings or pictures of a tube type engine mount for the E-225?

Thanks,
KelvinG

I don't know what a baron mount looks like. I tried to find a picture or diagram on the web, but couldn't. It would be great if something like that would work as a starting point. Would you have any pictures or such?

Thanks,
KelvinG

I think 0470 or e-225 are just too heavey for what you want. I have a Bushmaster (4 place cub type plane) with a 200hp IO-360. Empty wieght is 1200# with a constant speed. Will haul all I can get in it..

Don

Don,
My list of engine weights show the IO-360 weighs between 293lbs to 327lbs depending on model. The IO-470's where in the 430lbs to 470lbs range

The E-225-8 overhaul manual shows a weight of 322lbs and 225hp. Mine weighed 329lbs with some oil in it. A neat thing about this engine is 7:1 compression. It?s designed for 80-octane fuel. I can run auto gas. The bad thing is parts are hard to come by. I've got an electrically adjustable constant speed prop for it that weighs in at 60lbs.

I've already bought a E-225-8 with 500 hours SFRM for $3,600.00. For that price I plan on buying several spare engines and doing my best to live with shortcomings.

KelvinG

Back