• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trammeling questions

Bugs66

Spokane WA
I've got my drag wires installed on the D&E wing I am building. I was starting to freak out because the front spar was beginning to bow on me. I kept playing with the drag wire tension and have seemed to eliminate most of it while keeping the wing square. Still need to work on it some more.

My question - is that normal, the front spar bowing? I have read the instrutions at Dakota and further information here, doesn't seem to mention it much.

Any tips or tricks on how to keep the spars from bowing while trammeling?

Thanks for any help,

Trammeling Questions

Bugs you start from the inboard end and put your ribs in Trammel that bay then go to the next bay put your ribs in that bay and Trammell that bay and on to the next till you come to the end. This is what my friend said Erine told him how it was done. Robert

www.cubframes.com

Bugs, The spar will bow pretty easy wont it? Mine was doing the same thing until I went back to the wing root and squared each sit of wires out to the tip.the leading edge will be bowed too if the spar is bowed. The process is a bit exasperating.

Dan2+2 said:
Bugs, The spar will bow pretty easy wont it? Mine was doing the same thing until I went back to the wing root and squared each sit of wires out to the tip.the leading edge will be bowed too if the spar is bowed. The process is a bit exasperating.

Thanks everyone for the info. This was my first time trammeling so I was on a learning curve. Yes - it IS exasperating! In the end - I got everything worked out just fine. Everything square and straight.

It took some time and patience. Late last night I loosened up all the drag wires and began at the inboard bay and worked outwards. The whole process is interesting how it works. I also found it interesting how each bay seems to be mostly independant of the others.

Whew! Thanks again.

Back