• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Moose in the yard.

T.J.

Alaska
Just looked out the window and this big cow moose was munching on a tree in the front yard.

f52495ce.jpg

f5249311.jpg

moose in yard

We had a moose in the yard also. A couple of weeks ago a cow moose mosied up to our deck, about 6 feet away. While I was wondering whether she'd walk onto the deck, a white tornado blurred from my right and attacked the moose. The tornado was my wife's white horse, evidently telling the cow moose that she was in his territory. She spun on her hind hooves and lit out with the horse on her hinny until she cleared our split rail cedar fence. He then turned and headed toward the barn when he met her calf head on. It vanished quicker than his ma.

Great pics. Hey, here are some from New Jersey. I took all of these in my backyard!

Black bear next to the barn:

1502BlackBear2002a.jpg

Black bear again, taken in summer, image from video:

1502BlackBear2002b.jpg

Rare white deer, again image from video (sorry for the quality, taken through the screen in my sunroom):

1502WhiteDeer1998.jpg

Another of the deer, these two were vying for dominence (totally fascinating to watch):

1502WhiteDeer1998-3.jpg

Can you count the wild turkeys in this picture? Don't forget the ones at the far end of the field. I took this from my kitchen window two weeks ago:

1502119-1909_IMG-med.JPG

Some more deer taken from my kitchen window last week after the snow:

1502119-1956_IMG-med.JPG

Hope you enjoy these!

P.S. Have been eating venison all week.... :wink:

Christina, nice pics, especially the white deer.
I'd shoot the bear in the butt with bird shot, at least. If you can get away with it, shoot the dang thing with an 06 and bury it. If its legal, skin it and have a rug made, they make a nice hide. You don't want Black Bears hanging around. They are dangerous. I know they are cute, cuddly and all that stuff, but they are unpredictable.
In Ak. we treat the dang things like rats, see one, shoot it. Kinda like Wolves. :D

moose in the yard

So, Christina, be honest now, you're among flying friends...how often do you enjoy wild turkey as table fare? My goodness, if I had as many as I saw in your pix, I'd be dining regularly on them. Pretty nice bear. You seem to have quite a menagerie of critters, must be a blast looking out your window to view what's new in the neighborhood. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, that's why I posted these pics, most people have no idea and think that NJ looks like those NYC pictures I posted a couple of weeks ago!

Yes, there is always something different happening, lots of critters. Also have quite a population of coyotes, I can't find the picture where they were bringing down an injured deer in the backyard a couple of years ago.

TJ, the bear hunt was canceled by our illustrious supreme court that makes up the laws as they go along (have never heard of anything called a "Constitution"). Unfortunately, there are a lot of bunny huggers in this state, and they think that "Norplant" is what should be used to control the bear population (estimated at 3000), not hunting. That is why there are bears everywhere you go in north and northwest NJ. I can't go riding my mountain bike on the trails in the spring, summer or fall without running into bears half the time! And unfortunately, when they trap problem bears in the more populated areas closer to the city, they dump them in my township!! There are breakins into people's houses for food, and every once in a while you hear about an attack like what happened on a teenage girl who was jogging in one on the state parks a couple of year ago (she luckily got away).

Unfortunately, if you shoot one you'd probably get charged for murder in this state!

I too am surprised. Thanks for enlightening me about Jersey. I had no idea. It sure doesn't look the same as it does on the Sopranos.

SB

Try this:

Picture009.jpg

Your image tags were in the wrong place.

Pretty cool picture! I used to live in Florida (panhandle, Destin), and I never saw any turkeys. Didn't even know they lived that far south!

Thanks Christina, I'm going to keep trying all night untill I figure it out.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\turkeys[/img]

you have to upload it to the web like in the gallery and then right click then in the message click on the top "Img paste the adress and click Img* and then post it and the pic will be in there

tom ford

when I click img it puts it at the end of the address, not around it

Tim

Tim said:
when I click img it puts it at the end of the address, not around it

Tim
Tim Click the IMg icon first..then paste in your links properties and then hit the Img icon again to close it.

If you don't see the picture when you hit "preview" then you don't have it right so keep trying before you bother to submit.

Cheers,
Wayne

Say Tim,

A few weeks ago when we were at Crescent Lake and saw you fly by, we also noticed an increase in the turkey count. We have always had a few, but now that Phil is graining them there may be about 50. What is changing to grow so many turkeys.

I'm leaving for home soon. Perhaps we will see you next year.

GR

Picture009.jpg

You have to put the img thing before and after the address. I can't believe I did it, I think

Gary, I don't know where all the turkeys came from, but they are all over. I mean flocks of 60 to 80. Before we take off we have to taxi around and herd them off the runway.

I remember flying over you're house and seeing someone waveing. I was going to drive down but something came up. When are you going north?

Tim

Tim,

That was Mary Ann. I was in the woods counting downed trees. Almost as many as turkeys. Went to Daytona and then Three Bananas. Next time I go to Sally's.

I get a BFR from Tom Bent in his Decathelon on Sunday and head to Alaska on the 20th.

Mabey next year you can teach me this photo thing.

GR

Gary
I feel like I just got a masters degree in computer technology, I posted a picture. This hawk on my camper has been around here for 2 weeks catching moles off my lawn and field
Hawk1.jpg
[/img]

Back