• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fluting Stamped Ribs

Bugs66

Spokane WA
I have stamped ribs with my D&E wing. I believe Univair ribs are stamped as well. I was not surprised to see some ribs warped from manufacturing, as many kit plane ribs often come. So it looks like I need to do some fluting. The all metal kit builders do this widely. No problem with metal skins. My question is, how does fluting stamped ribs affect a fabric covered wing? It would seem logical to avoid where you plan to rib stitch. Any other gotchas, tips, or don't do's?

Thanks again for any help.

You shouldn't have to make very deep flutes from what I saw of a D&E wing recently. The Univair rib is beefier and has some small flutes. I guess they could make a slight dip in the fabric but I don't think it would be very noticable. I am thinking Champ ribs are fluted. I will have to look when I get to the shop.

You could use a shrinker on the ribs and not have any flutes at all, although fluting won't hurt anything.

Yeah, I don't believe any deep flutes are needed. Some are just slightly bowed and I want them to lay flat. I made some fluting pliers last night. Will be working on it today.

I am not familiar with a shrinker. What is it?

Look at any of the tool suppliers. A shrinker actually packs the metal together with a set of dies that squeeze down and in. They also have stretching dies for the same unit. Comes in handy if you do much sheet metal fabrication.

Thanks for the help. I did fluting last night and it worked very well. All is good. I am going setup a project web site soon.

Back