• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Piper Spar splice Kit Pa 12

It means that the spar has been spliced somewhere. Maybe due to damage or maybe a wing extension mod.

Spar splice

From my own experience, it should not really be a great cause for concern, if they were installed properly - I will gladly stand corrected.

We had a 1940 J-5A which was our first "Cub" with a 180 HP using X-Winds mount. After all, it was a "Piper Cub Cruiser." It had wooden spar splices from June 1940 when my grandfather put the plane into the trees in Spencer Mass - on a gusty day with 3 people and 75 HP. We replaced the rear spars for condition, but never touched the front left which had an original 1940 wood splice.

We gave this plane a 40th birthday party in 1980. Well, any excuse in the goood old days.

We used metal spar splices from Univair for our wing extensions on our PA-12 and they seem to work really well. Wood and metal are two VERY different animals. Just my 2 cents worth.

While I'm here, I want to say that we've had really good luck with the X-Winds STOL 180 set up, which we've used about 5 times. :-?

Fortysix12,
At one time Piper offered a spar splice "kit". It consisted of spar splice plates, rivets and spar section.
I agree with Stearman 600, if the splice was done properly, it's just as good as the original spar. I use spar splices on my wing extensions also.

Yep"
I've used them. You can splice Piper metal spars outboard of the lift strut attach points. The Piper Kit came with a section of spar material, the plates to attach the two pieces of spar together with and a bag full of rivets.
See Piper Service Memo No. 3A.
If they were done properly, I wouldn't worry a bit about them.

Univair sells them. I have done the splice with no problems. It looks like over kill after you shoot all those rivets.

Remember, the splice is only legal if it was made outside of the wing strut attach brackets.

Back