PDA

View Full Version : Kahiltna Glacier Landing

glassjet
12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
I have a friend who wants me to run him up to the Kahiltna Glacier in March.. While I have lots of experience on floats and wheels I don't have alot on skiis.... Has anyone landed on the Kahiltna that might give some input...

Randyk
12-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I've landed at the base camp site several hundred times, and a number of other on the Kahiltna places many more times, in cubs, beavers, 185's and 206's. If you have never operated there, I highly recommend you wait until May or June and get some detailed advice from someone that knows the ropes. March is risky because of the untracked DEEP powder snow, shadows and flat light, not to mention it's darned cold. Tell your pal if he really wants to go in March to hire one of the air taxis in Talkeetna. It will cost him a bit of cash, but if you go up there and get stuck or worse, how much is that worth? PM me if you want more details.

Randy

glassjet
12-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the input.... Truth is... I really want to go up..... We will wait til May or later..... I'm in no hurry.... he will just have to wait......