PDA

View Full Version : Looking for building tips

Ron B.
12-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I have a lot of questions I would like to ask pertaining to building a Supercub. I have a Smith's wide body ,two door kit.I'm putting it on amphibs. Now for the questions, I don't expect anyone to answer them all but maybe several people may accomplish answering them.
(1) With limited space on the panel and in a two door what would be an alternate location for the cabin and carb. heat controls? Photo from already built two door planes would be a great help.
(2)Anybody install a map pocket in a side panel on a fuselage that has the extra cross tubing as in the Smith's frame for the larger engine?I'm thinking of a pocket as CudCrafter's advertises.
(3)After mounting the engine on it's mount , which equipment should be fitted next and so on , i.e. exhaust then gascolator etc?
(4)The rubber mounts ( perhaps Lords) that isolate the engine for vibration, can anyone tell me a part # for my application? What information is needed to make this determination?
(5)What is the most common firewall insulation used, and where can it be found?
Well I've probably overdone my questioning for a Newbie, I bet it's obvious I don't have much experience with a SuperCub but I'm learning, or at least I will with your help, I hope.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

sharp
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry I cannot help, but applaud your effort. I ask that you take a lot of photo's in the process. It will not only help you get questions answered but also help some of the folks that will follow your path (me! :P )
Thanks
Sharp

behindpropellers
12-20-2004, 09:47 PM
(1) With limited space on the panel and in a two door what would be an alternate location for the cabin and carb. heat controls? Photo from already built two door planes would be a great help.

You could put it on the side, in a well, like the J-3 or a panel like the supercub.

Tim

KOZ
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
I have photo packs with all the details of the wide and slim Smith kits.
Give me a call and I'll tell you how we worked out those problem areas.

Koz
Koz Aero LLC
(616)784-3931

tempdoug
12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
ron, what i used for a firewall insulation blanket i made myself. find a summit racing catalog and look at the stuff that they sell that nascar uses in its cars. will not burn, sound insulation, fairly thin, reasonable. and keeps its shape good. wont end up down by your heels in a few years.

cubunltd
12-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Ronb,
Email me and I'll send you pics of my instrument panel and location of all the controls.
cubsunlimited@verizon.net

Ron B.
12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm hoping someone will try to answer some of the other questions, Pleeease.
Ron