• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anyone go Hog hunting?

Jon B.

Willmar, MN (KBDH)
I've been wanting to go after a big porker with either my .54 muzzle-loader or a handgun .44 mag (or both). I hear there are some areas in the country where there are large populations of 'feral' hogs that are unwanted, and hunting them is welcomed with open arms. Genuine 'wild' piggies are fine, too. I don't think I'd care for the little ones, though.

Anyone done so? If so, please provide information to a newbie. I can't likely take the Champ on a hunt, as I'd never be able to bring back any meat. I don't mind driving 20-25 hours from Minnesota, though.

Jon B.

Jon B. said:
I can't likely take the Champ on a hunt, as I'd never be able to bring back any meat.

Jon B.
Do you realize just how much meat you really get in a small game animal?

Jon B,

When we went on the Texas Supercub Cavalcade, one of the things that amazed me was the HUGE number for feral hogs we saw flying along over the countryside (at 114' agl). If I can see animals from the air, you know there must be a lot of them as I am always the last guy to see them!

sj

steve said:
. . . one of the things that amazed me was the HUGE number for feral hogs we saw flying along over the countryside
Yeah, my wife took one out with a 2003 Chevy Malibu last year. :pig

When we were in Rising Star at the Lonesome Doe Ranch (appropriately named I might add) they were going out and trapping them at the crack of dawn!

sj

Boars, Pigs and them Hogzzz...

I once hunnnted them wiald pigzz all the time...I even have them bluetick hounds..I gotta admit though...Them dogz don't hunt and I gave it up before they were born....
Ramble, Ramble, Ramble...Just brought back them memories of them pigzzzz... :pig

f7f4c4d7.jpg

Whatz with the Rifle...

I been pig hunt'in many times...When I started I hunted with a rifle..Then I wanted the sport of it...So I took to using my Colt Python 357 with a Bowie knife back up...
Sam here is no lite weight pig hunter...
If ya'll don't believe me next fly'n remind me to show you my scars..
But I am still here and many of them pigzzz are not!
Sam

:lol:

Yeah, I've been hog hunting.

I'll put a movie up about the experience later.

Got a tag for Javalina in AZ for January, Archery.

Figure that I could pack out my success most of the time in my hip pocket, and have room for chew, (if I used it). So not worried about meat.

Love them pig faces! I have never gone after pigs, but traded my cousin for a deer hunt...

Just got back from 10 days on Kodiak deer hunting. Great time and got all our deer. Lots of big Brownies walking around. One chased one of the guys for a ways. I watched him through the binoculars and we was real excited. Never seen a guy run that fast with a deer on his back. Crash

steve said:
Jon B,

....... one of the things that amazed me was the HUGE number for feral hogs we saw flying along over the countryside (at 114' agl).
sj

Steve, I saw a pretty good sized herd up at 3,000' They must have been in Bonanzas though.

Awww Shucks Massey, you beat me to it.

Thanks for the story Matt. Ate at that restaurant on Lake Marion last weekend after docking in the floatplane. didn't see any hogs. What altitude is legal for them in Florida?

Glad you guys enjoyed it. The topic couldn't have come along at a better time, since I was taking a break from editing this month's column titled: "A Christmas Hawg Hunt To Remember" (a Christmas column this month) when I came over here and saw that post.

Real men pay for BBQ at Fat Boys . . .

Hawgs

The hogs are getting ready to eat my crops right now down in south Texas. I bowhunt them and find it very rewarding. If any of you cub flyers bow hunt and need a place to go contact me. :pig

Hawgs

The hogs are getting ready to eat my crops right now down in south Texas. I bowhunt them and find it very rewarding. If any of you cub flyers bow hunt and need a place to go contact me. :pig

Jon:

Great hog hunting in Northern California all along the coastal range. Most of the land, though, is private. Here is a pretty good site for hog hunting in California.

I'm kinda like Sam. I started out hunting them with rifles and that got boring. Then pistols and that got boring. Finally, archery. Really fun, but I haven't hunted pigs in a few years now.

375HandH

Strech,

Yup, turkeys didn't even help pack it out.

Went with another cousin last year in texas. No bow for me, just a thing called a Pig Sticker :oops: :oops:

and we did it in the dark :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

I killed a 45 lb. hog that night, first ever time behind hounds for me, and can't wait to go back!

One word...GUAM!! This has got to be one of the funnest places I have hunted hogs. I went there several times with stick and a string (archery) and hunted hogs and deer. They were Sanbar deer and those buggers could sure haul butt through the jungle.
Nothing like stalking porkers through the jungle and getting up close and personal. Great if you like a good adrenalin rush. The easiest way to hunt them was to find a Palm tree grove and see where they were tearing up the coconuts. Mmmmm fresh coconut. A couple I should have just had my Machete in my hand....it would have been easier!! Oh, brought back a couple of other trophies beside tusks and antlers...a Monitor Lizard skin and Brown tree-snake skin. :) Don't think many guys have those in their collection. LOL
Keith

Good grief! A four-year-old thread comes back to life...

Weird timing, too, as just yesterday, I emailed Steve Pierce about hogs in Texas.

I still have a 'hankering' to shoot some piggies. My preference is for the large, feral variety; something with some meat on 'em.

Jon B.

There are a plethora of wild hogs here in South Texas. I've seen them over 300 lbs(on the scale) and there were bigger ones.

We have been shooting them and bury them with a back hoe. Too many to clean and eat. I now started feeding them high salt range meal and that swells their brain and kills them. They have been real thick here, but since I put out the feed, I haven't seen them. If they come back, you are welcome to kill all you want to. The ranchers around here hire guys to shoot them from helicopters. Haven't asked around, but anyone that isn't feeding high salt feed probably still has the problem. Got a couple of Cubs to use for hog spotting.

Roger, how do you keep the cattle and deer out of the feed? Does it only have that effect on swine? Where can one get the feed?

Thanks

Back