PDA

View Full Version : Toyota starters, alternators

Dan2+2
11-30-2004, 02:19 PM
I have found a source for a toyota starter and alternators for the 0320. The RV guys have used them for years.35 amp for 65$ and 60 amp for 90$.Small and lightweight too. He also has pulleys to slow down the alternator.His add is in the back of EAA's magazine, Mark Landoll Newcastle OK, 405-392-3847. Has anyone used his stuff? The RV websites seem to be satisfied with it.

JoeW
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
I believe Niagara air parts sells these, and I also think several folks have gotten field approvals for them. I have not heard anything bad, other than a need to have a way to shut it down in case of an overcharge. If I remember right, it's the nippondenso alternator (forgive my spelling). I do not know anything about the starter.

Joe

sjohnson
11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I installed the Nippon Denso alternator purchased from Niagara in my certified Cub about 3 years ago. I had to fabricate a new bracket; the one supplied by Niagara didn't fit. Other than that, it works great. I installed the larger pulley supplied by Niagara. I figured that lowering the peak rpm would improve reliability and my Cub doesn't need a lot of current.

I also installed an overvoltage crowbar circuit (not supplied by Niagara). It would trip occasionally after starting until I installed a snubber diode on the starter solenoid.

I doubt I could get a field approval on this today even though it is clearly superior to the original generator installation.

Regards,
Steve

PS - Editing to correct a brain freeze about the pulley.

cubunltd
12-01-2004, 02:50 PM
So what is the total cost of this alternator with regulater and overvoltage relay, and brackets?

sjohnson
12-01-2004, 04:22 PM
$175 from Niagara Air Parts.
http://www.niagaraairparts.com

The built-in regulator in the Nippon Denso alternator has no overvoltage protection. You must add some sort of OV protection external to the alternator to protect against a runaway regulator. You should test it annually.

Niagara now sells an OV interrupter, which wasn't available 3 years ago. I used the OV crowbar module from B&C: OVM-14
http://www.bandcspecialty.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?26X358218

Aeroelectric describes rolling your own OV crowbar and testing them in articles available here:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.html

Regards,
Steve

Frenchy
12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
If you are looking for a lightweight starter,go to ebay. Look for airboat stater with 149 th. or 122th. I just received mine and it look pretty good,I have paid $175.00 for the 149th.It weigh 9 pounds. It look almost like the B&C unit! :wink:

Claude

Dan2+2
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Frenchy, Thanks for the info. Thats the kind of information I like. Does this starter bolt right on or does it require a seperate bracket? If it takes a bracket was it supplied with the starter? Thanks dan2+2.

Frenchy
12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi Dan!

The starter bolt right on,no bracket needed,ready to go,you don`t need outside soleniod ``relay`` anymore.the solenoid is on the starter.

Frenchy

Dan2+2
12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Frenchy, The Ebay site has them shown with a 250 dollar price. Did you offer a lower bid to get it for 195 dollars? Dan.

Frenchy
12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Dan!

The BUY IT NOW price may be $250 but the reserve is $175.00, You can bid $175.00 and wait, If nobody else bid over you, you win!That`s how i got mine.

Frenchy

Sorry about my english!

Dan2+2
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks Frenchy, I have never purchased anything from Ebay, thus I am ignorant of the procedure. Your English is great so keep posting. I was curious if you are building an exp. cub? If you are how about some specs. or pictures? I worked on my fuselage until midnight last night putting in the 3/8 x.028 uprights in the rear fuselage with my lincoln tig welder.I will add some photos to the gallery sometime.

Frenchy
12-09-2004, 11:12 AM
HI Again!

Yes my project is experimental.I bought a wrecked 90HP supercub to begin with.Work already done:Replace bottom longerons, left door for seaplane operation,dynafocal engine mount for o-320 e2d upgrade to 160HP,new landing gear,Toe brake with new homemade brake system to replace the expender tubes and keep original light 4 ins wheels,my brake system is lighter than the old one but was a lot of work in a really tight space,new cowling,new panel with basic instruments. I `m working today on my airbox,i want a bigger air filter on it, they usually use the same filter for an 85 HP or 160 HP , i think the bigger engines needs more air!I already have a lightweight stater,i will instal a suzuki Forsa alternater + PC625 odyssey battery.I didn`t work on my wings yet, they will be extended with ailerons move outboard and longer fowler flaps, they will also have VGs. I hope i can keep the EW. under 1050pounds. I own a set of PK1800 to put under,they are at least 50 pounds lighter than edo 2000 .
I also own a 1941 j4E with a 0-200 to fly during the SC rebuild, i will probably be able to fly on skis this weekend!

Keep on building!
Salut
Frenchy

Dan2+2
12-09-2004, 03:37 PM
That sounds like it will be a fun plane. Here in KY there isn't much need for floats or skis. I'm building a wagaero 2+2, the D&E wings are ready to cover. Extended alerions and 8 ft. flaps. I worked on the fuse last night adding stringers in the tail portion but still have alot to do. I have a 0320 b2d 160 horse I may use helicopter pistons in. I read somewhere that the "OLD" lycoming cam also gave an increase in performance so will look into that. The bigger filter for more airflow was a thought I had also and I was thinking about one similar to the RV airplanes style.I also have a 40 J4A that I soloed in and fly whenever possible. I got my PPL in sept. this year so I dont push the weather alot yet as far as crosswinds etc.What are you going to do about the exhaust? I am thinking 4 into 1 with a lightweight Flowmaster streetrod stainless muffler. I can't decide whether to keep heel brakes like my J4 or toe brakes. The toe brakes would be easier to fabricate. Anyway I will keep flying and working on my project. Danny

planecrazy
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
I tried to put the lightweight starter on my 150 h.p. cub and found that the oil cooler bracket could not be re installed. what are my options guys? Greg

T.J.
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Greg:
Did you get the Skytec starter? You have to modify the original bracket to clear the starter or get one from C.C. Its a pain, unless you have a pattern to work from. That's why I went with the Electrosystems Magnaflight starter. It bolts right up.

planecrazy
01-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks T.J. I fabricated a new oil cooler mount last week end ant flew 5 hrs. today and everything works good, the new starter starts the engine much easier than the old one. I had to replace the steel oil line that ran over the engine center flanges with a hose and that works fine. Greg