• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J5A Spar replacement

J5Pete

Copper Center, Alaska
This is a first time project. I'm measuring the spar thickness with my micometer. One at .85 and the other at .825. Should I put the mic away and just order 13/16" or 7/8" blanks? Also, any tips on material for the gussets and adhesive for attaching the gussets.

J5Pete said:
This is a first time project. I'm measuring the spar thickness with my micometer. One at .85 and the other at .825. Should I put the mic away and just order 13/16" or 7/8" blanks? Also, any tips on material for the gussets and adhesive for attaching the gussets.

Pete-

For attaching the doublers you will want to use weldwood rescorcinol glue. The plywood by the wing attach fittings is 1/16" thick.
The plywood by the strut attach fittings is 1/8" thick.
You can use either birch or mahogany, mahogany is a better choice because it stands up to moisture better.

I can get you the thickness and measurements of the spar material I ordered, but it is at home.

You might want to think about putting in wing tanks in both sides during the rebuild. I will be putting my wings together in december, new ribs, spars,leading edge, wing hangers,tanks. Where are you located?

Tim

J-5

The mention of J-5 spars brought back some great memories. In 1979, we bought a project J-5 which had a very familiar looking N number. We rebuilt this airplane and installed a 180 with skylight, split door, wing tanks, etc etc. the original spars were spliced from an accident in 1940, and flew without any trouble for us for several years in the 80's. I later discovered that my grandfather had taken off from Spencer, Massachusetts on a windy day with 3 people and 75 HP, and put this airplane nose down in the tress. It was the very same plane that I had seen in pictures for years with the slogan saying " A ground lovin old hen" Well, the 180 solved that problem and we had a 40th birthday party for this plane before we put it to work towing banners. Before we installed an electrical system, it weighed 980 lbs empty -what a rocket!

Those original wood spars with splices never caused a problem, but you will want to replace those old "turnplate" tanks. Enjoy your project. :wink:

J5Pete said:
Also, any tips on material for the gussets and adhesive for attaching the gussets.

The J5 is a wonderful airplane! I owned a J5A with a 90 HP Continental for many years, and I still believe it was the nicest flying Piper I've ever flown.

On the issue of adhesives, in order to avoid any possible problems with the FAA on certification you should definitely use resorcinol. This is the only adhesive that is universally accepted by all FAA inspectors and FSDOs. If you want to use anything else, make sure to clear it with your local FAA office before you do the work.

Have fun!

Joe

Back