PDA

View Full Version : fuselage repair

aceherks
11-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Need some advise. Recently took my damaged fuselage, minus the wings, engine and covering, to a respectable and qualified IA. Its a late model thats always been hangered and on wheels so rust shouldn't be an issue. I got the attached e-mail a few days later. I'm not sure whether I should proceed or bit the bullet for a new fuselage that I really hadn't budgeted for.
(I've been thinking about your fuselage. A repair will definately be the cheapest way to go. The approximately $8500 figure we came up with the other night includes covering the fuselage ( but not the covering materials). I will have to remove a fair amount of stuff in order to replace the upper cabin structure, but there will be a lot more moving if you get a new fuselage. Some of the items that would have to be moved to the new fuselage are: stringers, battery mount, strobes, elt, fuel system, trim system, wiring harness, etc. that's a lot of work. Unfortunately, I think the only way to be certain that the old fuselage is repairable is to strip it down some more(remove landing gear and boot cowl, and take additional measurements. The more I look at the existing cabin top, the worse it becomes. We definately need to use the Univar sub-assembly if we are going to repair what we have. I don't think I mentioned it before, but the fin may not be repairable. Its bent pretty badly, but the best thing is to try to straighten it and see what happens.) Any and all advise is welcome. Ted Smith

Steve Pierce
11-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Do you have any pictures? What happened to the fuselage? Hard to tell from what you have posted. I take it you just want it repaired, not a complete rebuild.

aceherks
11-15-2004, 10:50 PM
:( aircraft flipped upside down after aborted TO. One wing bent forward and one rearward. thus twisting the upper deck. the upper cross reinforcement buckled downward. bend in one tube behind door on side of fuselage. Vertical fin is slightly bent but didn't hit hard enough to break strobe. I have four new spars for the wings but wing repairs were not included in the fuselage estimate. Probably could take some pictures. I also have a prop strike to attend to later. I walked away in one piece. The aircraft deserves to fly again. Ted Smith

Crash
11-16-2004, 12:57 AM
If it is pre 1977 or so I would can it and get a new fuselage. The difference will be more then made up for in resale value. Just my advice. Crash