• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rotax engine in a J3/PA-11?

ksecub

Portland, OR
Has anyone out there put one of the 4 stroke Rotax 912 (100-115HP) engines on an experimental J3 or PA-11? I am considering building an ultra light experimental J3 or PA-11 and was wondering what different engine alternatives were available in addition to the C-90 or 0-200. According to the Rotax literature, the 912 non-turbo install weight is approximately 140 lbs which is close to the weight of a C-65, I think. What other engines are out there that would be good for a J3/PA-11? Just trying to figure out my next experimental project.

I remember reading in Sport Aviation a couple of years ago about someone in Sheridan WY putting a Rotax in a PA-11 replica. You might try the EAA web site and contact the chapter in Sheridan.

There is a guy around Detroit that is working on a kit 'J3" with the Rotec on the nose. I've seen pictures of the fuselage frame with the engine mounted posted somewhere but I can't remember where. I remember thinking that the engine had to sit awfully high to get the crankshaft up to where you could get a prop on it.

I wonder about one of these new Thielert diesel engines. Supposedly 135hp, but LOTS of torque.

John Scott

The 912 has a 1500 hour TBO. It is a four cylinder, four cycle aircraft engine. I believe it is also certified and it cost around $12,000 new.

Cool looking motor

Wow, what a cool looking engine that little radial is, I was kidding about putting one on a supercub and there it is, on one. I would like to see how it looks and performs when done.

Back