• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pre-Purchase near Minneapolis

Free

Wisconsin
I'm looking for someone to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection on a PA-11 in the Minneapolis area. Supposedly the fabric and paint are in excellent condition with no signs of age. The plane has been kept in a hangar however the cover is 26 years old and the engine was majored 24 years ago. I've concerns on what the cover might be hiding and need an experienced Cub mechanic to complete a very thorough inspection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't know of anyone in town who is Cub specific but you might want to call the folks at Seaplane Services. They work on a mix of spam cans and rag and tube. Ask for Bob 651-792-4703

I don't know of anyone in town who is Cub specific but you might want to call the folks at Seaplane Services. They work on a mix of spam cans and rag and tube. Ask for Bob 651-792-4703

You might try calling Forrest Lovley. He's mostly an engine guy, but he owns a PA-11 and he's not far from the MSP area. Don't know if he'd be interested in doing a pre-purchase, but he might be able to lead you to someone who can help you out. His number is (952) 492-2064.

Joe

Although not in the metro area, Weber Aero in Alexandria has lots of tube & fabric experience. Kevin Sather is the guy to call - 320-763-4066.

They're the guys who bought the paperwork and tooling for the Bellanca Vikings.

Jon B.

I'd second Bob Timm at Seaplane Services. (Lino Lakes). He knows where to look on old Piper rag and tubes for rust etc etc...

Otherwise you have to head north to our neck of the woods. Hey - also ask if anybody at Stanton Sport (SYN) near Northfield has somebody to recommend. Lots of Cubs living there and I know there was at least one mechanic at one time.

Brad

Where in the Minneapolis area is the plane ? South west, Jim Drometer, South East , Rob Straw 651-460-2942. There are many others available.

Wayne

To begin, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. Your assistance proved invaluable as you'll soon read...

I contacted Jim Drometer who ironically had knowledge of this particular aircraft. According to Jim, the covering was installed using martin fasteners which when used on Cubs often lead to cracks in the ribs. Apparently a number of ribs on this plane have already been replaced/repaired due to the fasteners. (Troubling that this was not documented within the logs.)

Long story short, my search continues.

Thanks to each for your help.

I would use Drometer (952) 873-6659 for any pre-buy of any rag and tube airplane. He has saved me a lot of money by looking at them first.

Back