• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bending wing strut fitting

Bill Cangero

I'm working on a Super Cub experimental. I was going to use Colt wings, lengthened 30 inches or so at the tip as per Dave Blanton's Tripacer V6 STOL modifications.

The wing strut fittings have already been bent to the required degree to accept Colt struts.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on rebending the fittings to match up with the struts for using long wings?

Maybe someone out there has converted a clipped Cub back to a standard long wing?

If you are refering to the wing spar to strut attach fitting, my suggestion is that you do not try to modify this fitting in any way. There are many accidents that were the result of these fittings being damaged. Sometimes the damage is not visible from the outside and is very minor. Atlee Dodge recognized this weakness years ago and made a dubbler for this fitting(front strut). Any cub that is to be rebuilt should have this mod. pak

I was in an accident where the impact with the ground pulled the strut fork bolt right through the fuselage fitting. Northland sells the fittings for $96.50 each.

I have the same question - I believe the fitting is the one welded to the fuselage above the rear gear leg fitting. It gets bent up for the clip wing conversion, to a new angle. I assume they are bent hot, but I have never seen the STC for a clip-wing. My spare fuselage has one side bent due to a ground loop (long before I got it). It is so slight that I didn't notice it for years! So how is it done? With a rosebud and a big hammer/anvil?
The attach points on the wing don't need to be bent, because the strut pivots vertically - thus all Pipers can use the same fittings.
Personal to Steve - thanks for the response to my new thread - I don't want to get too specific, because I have heard that the Feds can take offense. For the same reason, I don't want to start certifying mail - they might decide to never let me do anything! The answer to your question is brakes. Really good brakes!

The instructions for the clipped wing cub say to heat the fitting and bend it to the desired angle. It's only a minor amount. I see no problem reheating the fitting and straightening it back out. you are not moving the fitting very much. Don't beat the fitting, but rather make up a tool, like a wide fork that fits the thickness of the fitting and slowly bend it while it's red hot.
cubsunlimired@verizon.net

cubunltd said:
The instructions for the clipped wing cub say to heat the fitting and bend it to the desired angle. It's only a minor amount. I see no problem reheating the fitting and straightening it back out. you are not moving the fitting very much. Don't beat the fitting, but rather make up a tool, like a wide fork that fits the thickness of the fitting and slowly bend it while it's red hot.

the difference is, the cub and PA-11 have a straight fitting-- easily bent to fit. The SC and I assume the Colt fitting has more beefed up sides and not conducive to rebending. I straightened an 18 fitting once that was slightly bent. Pounding does no good. a good torch and a huge crescent wrench work best. But only if it is slightly bent. Otherwise best to replace.

cubunltd said:

I was thinking of a rosebud tip for heating and gently bending with a modified vice grips with extended smooth jaws.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Bill

bending

make sure you have bolts in the holes. Fittings are made of two peices and the holes may get out of alignment if bent without bolts.

Don

I have modified several clipped wing cubs and have never had a problem with the bolt holes moving. The bend is very slight.

Back