• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Welding question

PPS-40001 = "Piper Production Specification". Obviously, their procedure to accomplish something. I'm finding this and similar documents extremely difficult to lay my hands on. Does anybody actually have copies of this and other Piper production specifications? Some things, like seaplane finishes on various parts, are readily available. Piper refuses to part with the good stuff (Thank you, tort laws). They release "SYSTEMS ASSEMBLY DRAWINGS" only, nowadays.

I've been trying to locate the same information. No luck yet. The PPS-40001 SP is called out on the North Land drawings, but no reference in the drawing files. Hum!

What is the date these were published?
Good chance they date back before modern welding techniques.

The File date on the North Land Drawing is O10/27/2002. This is a North Land Drawing, so I'm assuming it was created by the original North Land Drawings creator.

The File date on the North Land Drawing is O10/27/2002. This is a North Land Drawing, so I'm assuming it was created by the original North Land Drawings creator.

Yes but the question at hand here is the PPS-40001 document from Piper. I have the Northland drawings and they essentially are reprints of Piper documents

So a curiosity here is that Pipers first documented procedure for 1940?

We had arc welding (GMAW) and gas welding which at that time primarily utilized Acetylene gas.

I expect if Steve P or Clyde S have not pulled this document out of their archives, it will be hard to source and is probably so far out of date compared to current technology and practices.

I have TIG welded my airframe. I took notice of this note when reviewing my work and started questioning , Oh what's this? That's the rabbit that led me down the rabbit hole.
I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks

It would be nice to have all those old documents in an archive.

But if it is a pre war document the procedures it holds are not real import any more. Granted we have plenty of people here on this site as well as all over the world that are gas welding. If that document has something particular about pre or post heat process that would be interesting.

With the skills and experience you and many others have about the Tig weld procedure with varying type joints and material thicknesses. Not to mention when combining more than one material in a weldment, we have to stand by our training and experience and follow industry practices.

Back