• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

South Anchorage Tie Down?

KelvinG

Talkeetna, AK
I'm not 100% sure yet, but it's looking like my job is going to require me in Anchorage a large part of the time. :eek:
The problem is my wife and I are both rural type people and we REALLY don?t want to live in Anchorage.
Once solution I?m exploring is living in Hope and flying across the inlet. Having never lived in Anchorage I don?t know if this is a practical idea. Is anyone doing that? Does anyone know of a private strip in the South Anchorage that has hanger space or tie downs to rent? Besides quitting my job, (which I am considering) any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Hmmm. South Anchorage. Skyharbor and Flying Crown are private. If you have a friend there you might strike a deal. Lake Hood has waiting lists for all areas. There are some commercial operators there that rent tie-downs. I have no idea about availability at Merrill. Birchwood is a viable option but it's north of town. Palmer, Wasilla, Big Lake, and Willow have more options.

Hope is a nice little place, but if you intend to fly to and from work you're going to miss lots of days. Turnagain Arm has frequent bad weather and winds. Same for Girdwood. Girdwood is close enough to commute by car. Hope is further than I'd be willing to drive for work.

Hangar space? I doubt you'll find a hangar anywhere.

SB

Turnagain Arm will stomp your butt a significant number of days per year. The best way to cross Turnagain when it's hooting southeast is to stay low. That'll keep you out of the worst turbulence (I've been in there at 500 feet when the Part 121 operators were reporting severe turbulence at 3 to 5 thousand), but it's a really long stretch of cold water to cross. If your engine burps from anything, you won't have long to worry about it.

That's one commute I wouldn't consider for love nor money. At least if you are around Girdwood, you have the option of driving, but it's a tough drive sometimes as well.

MTV

Kevin

You might want to consider the Big Lake or Wasilla areas they both have good airports to work out of and a 15 to 20 min flight to Anchorage. I did see in the Anchorage paper the other day a hanger house for sale at wolf lake airport it might be worth checking out.

Cub_Driver

Cub_driver, mvivion, stewartb

Thanks for the information. Looks like I've a hard decision to make.

Kelvin

Back