• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska size hamburger, BIG

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
As everyone has learned by now, those of us from Alaska tend to brag a little about how big things are up north (wasn't that where the wide body Super Cubs came from?) and even some of our stories may seem like they are tall stories in a way. Now that I live in Texas (where it was 100 degrees today with a heat index of 112 degrees)and can understand everyone knows how big the state is, just consider that Alaska is 2.5 times larger than Texas (sorry Texans) and 1/5th the size of the 48 continuous states. If my memory is correct, Alaska has something like 25,000 miles of shore line but those from up north can always correct my feeble mind. Could be 33,000 miles.

http://supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album131&id=454841q

Here is an example of what a junior size hamburger might look like up north and works the same in beautiful Canada also. It is an actual product being served containing 6 pounds of ground beef, one half head of lettuce, two sliced tomatoes, lots of toppings and onions and a half jar of pickles and free to anyone that can eat it and a side of fries all within one hour. I have to be honest for a change though. It is not an Alaska product. I suspect one or two of these burgers would have fed the entire group at Holstein. Cool beer? I have no idea what that would have taken other than converting a line fuel truck to a beer keg and making rounds every 15 minutes. :wink: Well, maybe a modified casket would work.

Does anyone remember the one pound hamburger served at the
Lucky Wishbone in downtown Anchorage in the early days? It covered the whole plate and was served with an equal size serving of very tasty fries. With a cold beer? You bet.

How about the Sourdough Mining Company? Outstanding steaks and don't forget a brick of onion rings. The Peanut Farm is just across Campbell Creek and was a good place for us singles, male or female. Open up a peanut, eat the nuts and drop the shells on the floor but consider keeping the table guest and that worked for the ladies also.

http://www.alaskaone.com/aksourdough/

How about others that have huge steak servings in your area. Having been a big rig driver for two years, I always looked for places like that where I could park over night and enjoy the food and beverage. Remember, 12 hours bottle to throttle. I know of many unbelievable steaks that can be ordered and that are free if eaten in one hour. Texans are welcome to respond also. :wink: We always hear of cook offs so how about a steak off contest for the place that serves the largest steak, any cut and size before cooking. I know there are at least two places in Kansas City that have a special offer but SJ and Dana are always too busy to go out on the town anyway. :wink:

When you fly into a remote area, especially onto a lake where there is no one around and set up a Sunday picnic for the pilot and special copilot and the aircraft is grossed out, there is always weight available for two, twenty four ounce porterhouse steaks and the makings for a salad as well as charcoal and grill or just a grate to place on top of local rocks.
Terrable with no wine though unless you brought along one sleeping bag and maybe a tent and lots of masquito repellent. Remember bottle to throttle. That always got to me at Prudhoe Bay when the Canadian F-27s came in on charter. The flight crew would stay with the aircraft and usually ate in the cockpit and always there would be a bottle of wine on top of the panel. I asked a captain about it one day and all he had to say was that it was normal for Canadian flight crews. One bottle for three crew members always kept the blood alcohol content down but to me, it was really something new. I must admit though that on some of our final flights of the day and on flights when there were no other passengers, I often had a drink with a wonderful flight attendent who has passed on now to the big plane in the sky. What a lady she was and is and probably the most respected flight attendent ever to fly the skys of Alasks.

Gee, kind of got off the subject didn't I?

How about feed back of the best steak houses all over the country?
I will start it off. My place in Mission, TX with steaks flown in from Nebr or WI that are corn fed with no chemicals and so tender I might not even offer a steak knife. Nothing from Missouri though......Read, SJ.

Well, the best CHICKEN FRIED STEAK (still qualifies as steak doesn't it?) I've ever had was at Beverly's in Waco, TX. The half order would overflow most plates in the other 49 states...

cubflyer18 said:
Well, the best CHICKEN FRIED STEAK (still qualifies as steak doesn't it?) I've ever had was at Beverly's in Waco, TX. The half order would overflow most plates in the other 49 states...

That sounds like a one day drive in my motor home. Easier to use because I don't have to worry about TFRs around Crawford, I drive slow and keep it on the ground. Sounds like a true Texas size Chicken Fried Steak which we seldom get in Alaska. Lots of peppered white gravy of course? The local Applebee here used to serve something like that.

Thanks for the comment, your entry has been registered. :wink:

AlaskaAV said:
steaks flown in from Nebr or WI that are corn fed with no chemicals and so tender I might not even offer a steak knife.

England tried that no chemical organic thing once. I think it resulted in the Potato Famine. :roll:

S2D said:
AlaskaAV said:
steaks flown in from Nebr or WI that are corn fed with no chemicals and so tender I might not even offer a steak knife.

England tried that no chemical organic thing once. I think it resulted in the Potato Famine. :roll:

Maybe French Fries? Gee, did I actually say that?

I was born and raised on a farm in southeast Nebraska and we grew our own beef and pork to butcher for our own use, none of which were ever fed any type of chemicals. Every animal was special fed and talk about understand how to recognize what such products will produce, unbelievable. At Umiat, Alaska, an employee of mine took a very large Moose and actually cooked some fantastic steaks at his home and brought them down to our place. He knew I had a problem with the aroma of cooking moose. They were so tender I could not believe it. I tried eating part of a steak but within minutes, it came back up. Part of my so called mine reaction and no problem with the meat. I am not a wild game eater just as I can't keep seafood down. On a fishing trip, I always took care of the camp and did the cooking but ate ham sandwitchs.

Thanks for the comment. Any vote for the best steak house? Lets face it, when these supercubbers get a chance to do a relaxed cross country, they need a destination and a reason to do it. Got to convince the spouse you know.

Best Prime Rib I ever had was in New Orleans. Supposedly Iowa Fed black Angus. (Wonder why everything is always advertised as from out of state. Like Montana or Texas can't raise good Beef?) Unfortunaltely too many after dinner drinks and too many years ago to remember the name of the place.
The way Steakhouses come and go around here anymore, what was great last year might have an new cook, different supplier or be closed this year.

S2D said:
Best Prime Rib I ever had was in New Orleans. Supposedly Iowa Fed black Angus. (Wonder why everything is always advertised as from out of state. Like Montana or Texas can't raise good Beef?) Unfortunaltely too many after dinner drinks and too many years ago to remember the name of the place.
The way Steakhouses come and go around here anymore, what was great last year might have an new cook, different supplier or be closed this year.

Seems strange to me and those from Iowa can correct me, but to my knowledge, no angus cattle are raised in Iowa for commercial operations. Most are grown in the northwest such as the Anderson ranch in Washington (Stewart Anderson's Black Angus restaurants although under a different name now days so I hear.

After moving to Texas, I finally figured out why there is so much BBQ sauce used on beef. There is no taste to the meat. Sorry again Texans. That is why I fly in my special beef from a sub company of Schwanns and available online. Two days from order to receiving and with a certain amount of order, no shipping charges. All packed in dry ice of course. http://www.impromptugourmet.com/

When a person catches that special grayling or trout in Alaska in such clear water, the taste is unbelievable and I actually have tried some. My guide friend that flew us into Selby Lake to open up his cabin in the spring cooked some grayling that actually stayed down. Just grayling and pilot bread. What a weekend. Super Cub, floats of course, with a 135 engine. He flew the flat bottom boat into the lake on the side of his cub. He told me it was quite a crab all the way but that he was used to crabbing since he was married. Hmmmm.

If a steak house is good, they will be around for a long time. Just look at the Outback Steak House. I actually regestered a complaint with the manager at the Outback in McAllen, TX for false advertising and I did it with a really serious expression. After watching all the TV commercials with all the women in bikinis, when I got to his place, not one lady had a bikini on. Talk about breaking up the whole place by his laughter. He actually bought us a bottle of wine for the table to make up for the false advertising. The lady serving us told me later that he had never done that before for anyone. Anytime you get a chance, try the Outback, their beef and seafood is outstanding, just no bikinis. :(

Back