• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another day in paradise, Maui and the Maui Lu Resort

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
After a couple of years working with the owners of the Maui Lu Resort on Maui, Hawai'i and Alaska, I got to know the owners very well as you have seen before. Through this friendship, I gradually got accepted by the local residents which was really almost impossible at the time.

One of the friends was the well known entertainer that did the floor shows and his group. At one point, they were contracted by the Lion's Club at Nome to put on a show for their eye bank program. They all flew from Honolulu to Anchorage on Western Airlines of course and on Wien to Nome the next day. I met their flight and helped them get settled into a very nice hotel in downtown Anchorage. It just happened that it was snowing quite heavy and over half of the crew had never seen snow before although it often snowed on Maui. It was so much fun watching the crew looking out the windows to see the snow the first time. Some of us went outside to test it out. Because of my work, I was not able to fly with them to Nome but when they came back through Anchorage, I got the whole story. By the way, that one night in Nome, after all expenses were paid, the Lions Club raised some $10,000 for the Lions eye bank program.

Getting into snow had to be something for many of the group but it really does snow on Maui and up to 2 1/2 foot once. Check this photo out.
http://supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album120&id=haleakala7snow_bmp

Oh yes, back to the story.

There was such a wonderful lady everyone called Antie Rosa that owned a rather rustic home built up on piling over the water of the Pacific Ocean in a small and well protected cove near the nude beach of Makena at the time. One Sunday afternoon when there was no floor program going on at the Maui Lu, several of us went to that wonderful and old Hawaiian home and, as we said in Hawai'i, suck um up Premo (Hawaiian Beer). All afternoon it was one song after another sung by the star of our floor show. One member of his band had an old wash tub turned upside down with a rope tied to a hole in the bottom and attached to a strong stick at the other end which he used to tighten or loosened up to make a different sound from the tub. Talk about fun. I was the only "mainlander" there but was accepted as an island guy. Lots of Hawai'ian pu' pu' (snacks) of course including raw fish just caught over the side. This party lasted well after sunset with kerosene lanterns providing the light and just the sight of the beautiful sun setting in an area where there was no pollution was unbelievable.

Ernie:
The tub with the string and stick is called a "Gut Bucket" in my part of Alaska. We make them from a 5 gal. blazo can, a spruce limb and a piece of safety wire. If you imbibe in enough Adult Beverage they sound pretty good.

T.J. Hinkle said:
Ernie:
The tub with the string and stick is called a "Gut Bucket" in my part of Alaska. We make them from a 5 gal. blazo can, a spruce limb and a piece of safety wire. If you imbibe in enough Adult Beverage they sound pretty good.

Same thing T.J. Only I suspect the wash tub gives more of a base sound.

Back