• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

American Airlines court cases, lost Airbus

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
Several years ago, American Airlines lost an Airbus when the rudder separated just after liftoff and it went in. We have all heard about that problem I am sure but that is not what this story is really about. It is about lawsuits.

Now, "the rest of the story"

The Rio Grande Valley in deep south Texas is well known for the huge jury awards from law suits, medical or otherwise, and the highest average awards in the US. American Airlines flies into Hidalgo County (where I live) which makes it legal for anyone to file a law suit here as long as the defendant does business in the county or area that the case if filed in.
It is almost impossable for a doctor to get malpractice insurance now days in the Rio Grande Valley.

So far, and to my knowledge, all law suits from relatives and interested others have been filed in a county court here and will be tried here. American and their insurance companies are doing all they can to get the proceedings moved but no joy. I would give about anything to sit as a jurist on those cases but medical problems keep me from any jury duty. It will be interesting to see the billions of dollars that will be awarded in ten or so years. Just picture what the lawyer fees will be. Did I hear parents saying they need to get their kids in law school? :wink:

There is very little talk about the court proceedings and of course, nothing has even been started yet other than filing.

A side note: when Texas sued the tobacco companies a few years ago, the governor picked 4 Texas non government lawyers (who were, by chance, friends of his) to put together the court case. They took it with payment of a percentage of the settlement. When all was settled, those four guys raked in some $4.5 billion (yes, billion) for their work. That 4.5 could be wrong but it will be very close. After the news of the payments hit the newspapers, I understand the 4 good guys, with a big heart, turned back to the State of Texas, about $1 billion to show good faith. By the way, the State of Texas had to pay part of the expenses on top of that settlement.

There are several members in Texas reading this that might be able to correct my numbers, correct my understandings or add to the story. Please feel free to join in but remember, this is not about politics, but the lawyer and law aspect. There is always rant & rave for politics as I understand it.

Back