• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil temp too low

ksecub

Portland, OR
Any one have a suggestions:

I installed a B&C oil filter assembly which replaces the oil screen. Before the change my oil temp was perfect, now I can barely reach 100 degrees. I have a vernatherm unit, I suppose it could have failed and all the oil could be directed to the oil cooler without any restriction. What do you think? I would hate to buy a new vernatherm and find out that it was something else.

Thanks,
Doug

i dont see how it could not reach 100 degrees. drain some out and stick a thermometer in it after it is hot.

Sounds to me like someone broke the capilary tube when you intalled the adapter :(

Oil Temperature to low

I just bought a 2000 Super Decathlon June 2nd. It had 147 hours when delivered to me in NJ.

Last week I started to see the needle on the oil temperature gauge occasionally move up to 260 degrees. The red line is 240 degrees. I called Lycoming and others, and also asked the Citabria group for any ideas. Most suspect was the Vernitherm, the oil thermostat the sends oil to the cooler when it gets over 180 degrees. I had one overnighted to me from American Champion ($272 with shipping).

After I had it installed it seemed better for a while, but the temp would still go to the red line once in a while during flight. I started to tap on the oil temperature gauge and it would drop back down to 180 or so. I figured that the temperature couldn't drop that fast and when I landed I took off the panel top cover and with the master switch on started to probe around the three wires that go to the back of the gauge. When I moved the black wire the gauge would jump up slightly. When I removed the black wire the needle would move to the full hot position. Upon closer inspection I could see that the connector had some oxidation. I used some contact cleaner and tightened the connector and reinstalled it.

That was the problem! The temperature has been solid at 180 ever since after about 4 hours of flying.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

If your gauge is correct you can replace the vernitherm with the ball and spring in the Lycoming parts manual. It is a cheaper way to determine the vernitherm is the culprit.

Back