• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Africa Pics

T.J.

Alaska
I just got back from Africa. I posted a few pics in my album on page 2 of Cub Drivers. I got to fly a Cub in Africa. My friend Pieter let me fly his Cub on the southern border of Kruger Park. We also went to Nelspruit and met a lot of folks from the oldest Aeroclub in S. Africa. Several Cubs in this area. Nice folks.

Nelspruit SA

I was in Nelspruit recently as well, with my South African partner's family who live there. Did you happen to notice the really nice yellow PA-12 they use for training?

I felt that airplanes in SA were in very good condition in general. Don't know if that is because of the regulation, or maybe people have enough money to spare. One thing for certain, the regs for commercial GA operations are quite strict.

I did see the PA-12. Also a J-3 and SC. The evening we got there the guys were giving rides to the local kids. They did mild aerobatics over the field. we stood outside the Clubhouse drinking beer and watched the show.
One of the guys had just wrecked his PA-12, the gear broke on taxiing. He also owned a local FBO. I have his name somewhere.

There aren't that many "Real" airplanes in SA, so we really look after the ones we got - what was the Registration on the SC you flew - ZS-DLR??? She used to live in the hangar with our SC - ZS-JEC.

Nelspruit Cubs

Hi Gents. I live in Nelspruit and was appauled to hear that fellow Suppercubbers were in my valley and I did not meet you! The cub that was wrecked belong to Mark Jackson from Leading Edge Aviation in Nelspruit. It's registration is ZS-LMA. ZS-DLR belong to Noel Tearle. There is quite a number of Cubs in this area - 15 at last count that I am aware of. I am building a SC from plans and also flies from the Lowveld Aeroclub. When you visit SA again please let me know, I would like to meet fellow Cubbers! Regards
PS we also have a Stearman, N63914 flying from Nelspruit still in original USAF livery

Paladin:
I met Mark, his wife and boy at the Aeroclub. We hung around the Club after dark and had a few Castles with the folks. I was there with Pieter van Rensburg. He has a 135 Cub in Malelane. He is on this site occasionally. I forget his login name. We stayed with Pieter and his family for a few days. I got to log time in a Cub in Africa. He had a momentary lapse in good judgement and let me take the controls. Next time you see him ask him about the bird strike we had.
My son and I were over there hunting. We hunted in Namibia and Limpopo. Pieter wanted some meat for the larder so we graciously accomodated him. He set up a hog hunt for us. Great fun!
Its a small world.

Africa pics

Hi guys

Good to see some SA pilots joining in on this forum! :D
T.J. - have sent you some email but no reply!

Have you managed to get Jason's website address. There are still a number of pics I want to get from him.
The evening that we flew you mentioned something to be fitted to reduce electrical interference on the radio. Please enlighten me again!

Regards

Pieter van Rensburg

Pieter:
I figured if I started talking about you you would come out of your hole.
I've been moose/bear hunting for the last 25 days, so I'm behind on my email. I got a small moose and a beautiful small Brown Bear. I'll sent pics.

I talked to John at Sacramento Skyranch friday, he says generators don't need filter capacitors. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on gens before. He says the brushes may be chattering on the communtator which will cause the noise. He also mentioned noise from the voltage regulator. The noise in your headset is definitely from the generator circuit. I'm still checking on the filter and will keep you posted.
I'll PM you with more info.

Heard today that ZS-DLR was ground looped at Malalane very recently - tore a wing off for starters, no other info, really sad!!

As far as I have it it was ground looped by the owner in Swaziland, Matsapha airfield. The wing was badly damaged but repairable. It was apparently brought back to Nelspruit at some stage.

Paladin

SAD! :(

Is the owner a local (Nelspruit) guy and who is repairing the plane?

Pieter

Back