• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental instrument panel

Todd C

Tulsa OK
Would an electronic display such as this: http://www.dynonavionics.com/ meet the legal requirements for flight instruments for day & night VFR flight? A panel with this display, and a similar one for engine instruments would make for a very clean panel. My main concern with this set-up would be loosing electric power, if your electric system went out you would loose all your instruments. Comments?

I played with this at Sun & Fun last year. It is remarkable. I would want an old fashion AS and altimeter at least.

Yes, lots of people use Dynon for IFR in experimentals. Redundancy of some form is your friend. The simple solution to electrical failure is a backup batter in the instrument and some basic backups in case the panel itself fails. For VFR, I see no need for backup instruments of any kind. For IFR, I would want backup everything. Here is one option that is everything in one hole with built in backup power:

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

There are other similar options. Combine that with your phone for navigation and you'll survive most failures.

If you want more backup, get two of them. I'd trust that over any mechanical gyros.

If you are running an electrical system that needs to be reliable, make sure that you have over voltage protection on your alternator and read this:

https://bandc.com/product/the-aeroelectric-connection-12th-edition-bound-book/
https://bandc.com/product/alternator-controller-regulator-14v-homebuilt/

EDIT: Dynon Skyview is also certified for IFR flight in a bunch of GA aircraft.

I'm one of those guys that said he would never fly a glass panel in a Super Cub. Times change. I flew a G3X with their autopilot in a RV-10 not too long ago. Absolutely amazing piece of equipment. Dynon's offering is as well. I decided to weigh all my old instruments as I was building a new airplane to compare. The new stuff was lighter by a bunch.
I loved my dirt simple old school PA-11 but my Javron has the G3X and an autopilot. My Clipwing Tcraft does as well and I have zero regrets

Oh that looks nice too (Kestrel post above). I had the first version Dynon D10 in the Moose I built back in the day (I think 2006) I still had steam gauges also.

My Javron Cub will be VFR HDX Skyview (but all it would take is to add any IFR navigator and it's IFR - no plans at this point but I will save space for it behind and in the panel). When I got back into GA/experimental 9 months ago the supply chain thing was a shocker. The Skyview HDX was 5 month backorder. Some said wait as it will get superseded by the time kit is done. But after reading everything and watching every video I could find there is little they could do to make me wish I had not purchased - ha, the dang thing is better than anytihng in the Boeing or Airbus that I just stopped flying. HDX just arrived, everything I need is on the shelf here already waiting (comm, transponder, GPS, ADSB, Engine EMS, etc. etc.) only thing I did not purchase ahead are the harnesses - I plan to get all the avionics locations figured then get the correct length instead of guessing. I can actually start doing that soon. Now if I only had wings and an engine.. LOL (all 'on order' since last August). Just the packaging of the Dynon gave me a warm fuzzy, well done. I am sure Garmin is same and looks very nice but I came up less expensive everytime I compared the two.

Sorry wordy for I will have no other analog/archaic type backup either. VFR of course. I do have the backup battery for the Skyview though.

I wish (getting off track, well maybe not this was about panels in experimental) there was an easy way to put a screen on the back of the front seat for when my wife is in the front and I am in the back and have all the Dynon repeated there. It is doable with an iPad and other various software. But my one silly requirement is to have actual airspeed in the back not just GPS speed (I know I know you don't need it yada yada) but it's nice if communicating with someone in the front seat to use the same numbers) Something like the 'Bom' sends actual AS, but then you could just go with that alone front and back. Sooo many option it is hard to sort it all out. Of course all is crazy $$ - on that note, in the end I'll probably just look over her shoulder like always. :)

EDIT: You guys type faster so Kestral post is three above this.. my bad for not quoting.

If I could rationalize switching my Cessna panel to a G3X? I would. Best instrument I’ve ever used, hands down.

Attachments

• 4C63E55D-9969-405D-BC48-9110D72BA37C.jpeg
    4C63E55D-9969-405D-BC48-9110D72BA37C.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 117
I know nothing about Dynon’s products, but I really like my G3X with remote com, txp, ADS-B, auto pilot….. All operated from one simple panel. I’m sure Dynon is similar. My backup is my iPhone with Garmin Pilot. I’ve been fluent in Garmin for 25 years so my decision was easy.

Oh that looks nice too (Kestrel post above). I had the first version Dynon D10 in the Moose I built back in the day (I think 2006) I still had steam gauges also.

My Javron Cub will be VFR HDX Skyview (but all it would take is to add any IFR navigator and it's IFR - no plans at this point but I will save space for it behind and in the panel). When I got back into GA/experimental 9 months ago the supply chain thing was a shocker. The Skyview HDX was 5 month backorder. Some said wait as it will get superseded by the time kit is done. But after reading everything and watching every video I could find there is little they could do to make me wish I had not purchased - ha, the dang thing is better than anytihng in the Boeing or Airbus that I just stopped flying. HDX just arrived, everything I need is on the shelf here already waiting (comm, transponder, GPS, ADSB, Engine EMS, etc. etc.) only thing I did not purchase ahead are the harnesses - I plan to get all the avionics locations figured then get the correct length instead of guessing. I can actually start doing that soon. Now if I only had wings and an engine.. LOL (all 'on order' since last August). Just the packaging of the Dynon gave me a warm fuzzy, well done. I am sure Garmin is same and looks very nice but I came up less expensive everytime I compared the two.

Sorry wordy for I will have no other analog/archaic type backup either. VFR of course. I do have the backup battery for the Skyview though.

I wish (getting off track, well maybe not this was about panels in experimental) there was an easy way to put a screen on the back of the front seat for when my wife is in the front and I am in the back and have all the Dynon repeated there. It is doable with an iPad and other various software. But my one silly requirement is to have actual airspeed in the back not just GPS speed (I know I know you don't need it yada yada) but it's nice if communicating with someone in the front seat to use the same numbers) Something like the 'Bom' sends actual AS, but then you could just go with that alone front and back. Sooo many option it is hard to sort it all out. Of course all is crazy $$ - on that note, in the end I'll probably just look over her shoulder like always. :)

EDIT: You guys type faster so Kestral post is three above this.. my bad for not quoting.

I am trying to figure out how to get the info/comtrols to the back seat of my Javron. A few options I have are put a trig dual radio head in so that is covered. A garmin 275 will give you everything including engine monitor!! Stick them in the wing root at a 45 angle and you are good to go. Get a Boom unit https://shop.levil.com/products/bom . Cheap is a simple airspeed/alt unit stuck up on upper windscreen left or right. Now you are going back to electrons in the wing root but everything is life is a trade off. Vapor is what burns so once you break open a wing tank a spark most anywhere is going to light it off.
DENNY

Garmin Pilot or Foreflight bluetoothed to an ADHRS unit like a GDL offers more than enough info. But its a Cub. Let them look outside and enjoy the view.

I’m looking at one of these as a standby multi display mini efis for my Javron build. They come with all the bolt on sensors for some redundancy from OAT, back up battery, pitot and static lines.They’ve been on display at Oshkosh for the past few years and appear very popular for the Euro Light Sport aircraft crew and prices were quite competitive albeit I ‘think’ they are only for the experimental flyers. I also note on the bottom of their webpage, they make a remote head unit display that simply connects to the main units ADHARS and data source so this might be an option for the back seat for some people? https://www.kanardia.eu/product/horis/

Cheers - Damian

For you Dynon guys, do they have a similar function on Foreflight or other flight apps?

Attachments

• 2C0F5528-DBCF-4C73-A73F-AC8D865A7008.png
    2C0F5528-DBCF-4C73-A73F-AC8D865A7008.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 57
Hmm..so the Garmin will send actual AS and Altitude to the iPad, that is exactly what I'm looking for - thin iPad on the top of the back seat. I didn't think Dynon would do that, but maybe they will follow Garmins lead (plus I could be wrong and it will do it - 700 pages of manuals to sift through still). My first glance through things and everyone sort of forced you to buy a second unit to have a second display.
For you Dynon guys, do they have a similar function on Foreflight or other flight apps?

Hmm..so the Garmin will send actual AS and Altitude to the iPad, that is exactly what I'm looking for

Some Garmin units have WiFi connectivity and some do not. Check for that capability when deciding what to put in the front panel.

I have little interest in putting any displays in the rear of my FX-3. My friend who has flown several times with me as safety pilot says he has no problem seeing all the front panel displays.

What I do want in the rear seat is an autopilot disconnect switch. (G3X autopilot can be both disconnected and engaged in pitch hold roll hold modes with just a disconnect switch). I'm not comfortable with safety pilot having to override the autopilot if I'm incapcacitated.

Agree, it's not really a big deal, when my wife is in front I'll look over her shoulder if I want actual AS and Alt like always had to do. But it is one small thing that if I knew before I would have G3X sitting on the shelf instead of my Skyview.

Some Garmin units have WiFi connectivity and some do not. Check for that capability when deciding what to put in the front panel.

I have little interest in putting any displays in the rear of my FX-3. My friend who has flown several times with me as safety pilot says he has no problem seeing all the front panel displays.

What I do want in the rear seat is an autopilot disconnect switch. (G3X autopilot can be both disconnected and engaged in pitch hold roll hold modes with just a disconnect switch). I'm not comfortable with safety pilot having to override the autopilot if I'm incapcacitated.

20221120_200032.jpg20230106_204100.jpg

Advanced Flight Systems 5600T, ACM w/elecronic C.B's., TCW IBBS.,

Attachments

• 20230106_204100.jpg
    20230106_204100.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20221120_200032.jpg
    20221120_200032.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Be careful. An Ipad connected to a GDL 39 will indeed give you speed and altitude, but the speed is GPS derived, so it’s basically ground speed, not airspeed. and altitude is GPS derived as well. Theoretically it is accurate, but I see fairly big discrepancies in it vs a proper altimeter.

good information for sure, but not the same as pitot derived airspeed or pressure derived altitude.

The ADHRS from garmin is advisory only. Here’s what i got the other day while straight and level. pressing the “erect” soft key fixed it temporarily but it drifted out again. second photo was in a modest turn. you can see both the ipad and the Garmin 660, which derive their information from the same source, are corrupted.

other flights it’s fine. i don’t trust it any more, though.

Attachments

• 1E4A27CD-CE86-41B6-9439-E5AAA57D415A.jpg
    1E4A27CD-CE86-41B6-9439-E5AAA57D415A.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
  • F1001F16-90EC-4D2E-B19F-2081F177758F.jpg
    F1001F16-90EC-4D2E-B19F-2081F177758F.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 38
In my Cub I can use the G3X as the ADHRS source for Garmin Pilot, and I have redundant GDL as a backup. I can’t recognize any difference between the sources. In the navigation screen with the GDL source, altitude is close enough to be useful and ground speed works fine for a backup. My backup capability just needs to be adequate to help me get down. I think it’s more than good enough for that.

My G3X uses a GDL39R for ADS-B. The 39R isn’t an ADHRS source on its own. The newer GDL50R does have ADHRS and can provide a backup should the GDU fail. It was easier for me to add a GDL39-3D on the dash. I think GP is a fantastic backup for my G3X. I run GP on the iPhone in moving map mode and use the syn vis screen with EIS on the right margin on the G3X. All the info I need at a glance.

Which ADHRS (or is is AHRS or ADAHRS) source are you using.
sorry, should have been more clear. in my case, i’m using the output from the 345 transponder. it’s definitely advisory only. If you can get output from the G3X that should be far more reliable. hardwired to a portable like a 660 would be really great. Personally i’m wary of anything using bluetooth as the Garmin units do. It’s fine for advisory use, though.

Back