• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Horizontal Stablizer End Play

snowblind

Z41
While preflighting the PA-18 empennage area the horizontal stabilizer appears to have approximately 1/4" (one quarter inch) end play (side to side movement) when pushing (sideloading) the horizontal stabilizer with body weight (using arms). This measurement is approximate when looking straight down on vertical stabilizer. Any help, limits, shims, etc on this.

Tks
Snowblind

Play in the stabilizer

Hello sounds like what I had happen to my cub. We ended up putting in a new liner tube. We changed the front one and all of the slop was removed.
Hooter

I have rotated the linear tube 90 degrees and redrilled after holding the stabs together and marking the holes with a transfer punch. Probably better to replace the linear tube.

I've talked with a few "experts" and there is nothing unairworthy about that, but 0" play would be ideal. We had a 12 with the same issue. It could be wear or just a bad drill job on he inner tube. $35 from Univair last time I checked. I've seem them bushed also.

Back