• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

toyota starter for 0320

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
In my search for information on cubs I see references to using a geared toyota starter on 0320's. However I can't seem to find any how-to information. Does anyone have any experiance with this. It looks like a dollar savings and less weight also.

Starter

The Sky Tek PM style of starter is the same one as a Ford industrial diesel engine uses I am told. Crash

320 starter

crash call nick smith he's been useing them for years .Also i think that maybe the same starter thier useing on the turbine

Starters alternators

I am using a skytech starter on an 0-320 in my homebuilt. It looks the same as the starter used on many late model vehicules. You probably could modify a starter if you can match the drive gear and rotation.
Frankly I think the sky tech unit is worth the money it fits and there is a significant weight saving,
One of the best kept secrets around is the alternator from a Metro Geo or susuki side kick. They produce 55 amps and weigh about 6 LBs. They also have a built in voltage regulator so no external wiring is required.

Al, Thanks for the alternator info. that is very useful. My brother in law owns a parts store so I can get stuff at cost. But you have a good point about the skytech starter. They have already had the bugs mostly worked out. If I use a toyota I get to do all the R&D also with its inherant risks. I do think tho with a fairly simple adaptor a toyota starter would work and parts would be more readily available in regular america, so I will keep after this option.

check with EAA. They ran an article many years ago about using the Toyota starter. There is a number you can call where they search their archives and can send you an old article.

EL cheaoo Alternator

I have used the alternator from a 95 Metro Geo on my Lycoming O-320 for the past 5 years with no problems. I got it from an auto wrecker for $75 CDN and put it on without even inspecting it.
I pulled it apart after 200 HRs just in case it needed brushes or bearings or something and it is in perfect shape.
I just made up a bracket to mount it and found a curved arm in the junkyard with the slot for belt adjustment. I think it was off a ford pickup with a 6 cyl motor.
If anyone want's a picture or a diagram I would be glad to make a drawing and publish it.
The only problem I did have is that you need a 55 amp breaker to feed your electrical system. I put in a 30 thinking it was enough.
But when you leave your master on all night that little alternator will charge enough to pop a 30 amp breaker at idle!

I live in Quebec ,Canada and i will use a toyota starter on my project.There is a fellow in montreal who have the bracket available,it`s aluminium cast for about $100.00 cdn.I will try to find is phone number
if anyone is interested.

toyota starter bracket

Phone number for toyota starter bracket,should be use with 122 tooth ring gear,

Aeronef de Montreal
Claude Guilbault : 450 661 4250

I have had B-C starters on 4 different cubs and would highly recomend them. Bill is great to work with and his products are top notch. I do think Skytec has finally made a good product, there early stuff was better suited for downrigger weights!

Ask any of the bush pilots that use their cubs in the Bush and I think you will find more B-C then any other brand.

Tim

OK so we know where to get the bracket but which Toyota starter is it? I doubt they are all the same. Got a part number or a car/engine/year to work from? Are we talking a 91 Celica or a 88 Landcruiser?

Thanks

Bill

Back