• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are You Building an Experimental Cub?

Are you building an Experimental Cub

• No way I'll stick with certified.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I just like to read about them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Steve Pierce said:
Who is building an Experimental Cub? What are you baseing your plane on and how far along are you?

I am just getting started. I just picked up my wing kit from Ernie at D&E yesterday.

On order: Spraker tack-welded fuselage, Wag-Aero balanced tail group kit (sans rudder).

Bugs

I completed a Cub look-a-like a year ago that I now have 150 hours on it. The wing is all wood with no flaps. The rest of it is close to a supercub design with a lot of my own modifications. It has a 0-320 and I couldn't be happier.

Currently started on the cub. Using Airframes, Inc. 4" wider fuselage, 3" extended gear, stabs, elevators, rudder, fin and struts. Using Scatter Creek Aircraft stamped ribs for the wing. D&E spars and flap and aileron extrusions. The cub is on the gear having made the cabane vee and lower shock struts. Made the rudder pedals and brake pedals. Piper seat and torque tube. Made the stick sockets and interconnect. Have made most of the control cable links. The floor boards, rear seat bottom and back are 3/8" carbon graphite honeycomb. Honeycomb floor board extends to the 180 lb third seat area the rest of the extended baggage will be aluminum. Firewall is roughed out along with the Instrument panel. Going to use a dynafocal mount O-320 with a crossover exhaust.

Matt

supercubc37 said:
Currently started on the cub. Using Airframes, Inc. 4" wider fuselage, 3" extended gear, stabs, elevators, rudder, fin and struts. Using Scatter Creek Aircraft stamped ribs for the wing. D&E spars and flap and aileron extrusions. The cub is on the gear having made the cabane vee and lower shock struts. Made the rudder pedals and brake pedals. Piper seat and torque tube. Made the stick sockets and interconnect. Have made most of the control cable links. The floor boards, rear seat bottom and back are 3/8" carbon graphite honeycomb. Honeycomb floor board extends to the 180 lb third seat area the rest of the extended baggage will be aluminum. Firewall is roughed out along with the Instrument panel. Going to use a dynafocal mount O-320 with a crossover exhaust.

Matt
Matt,

My uncle lives in Elkorn, I'd like to see your project this summer if I could.

Jeff

I am building a 2+2 with D&E ribblet wing and supercub tailfeathers. 0320 extended gear. The wings are about done but it sure takes a long time to install all the floating nutplates for the tank covers, wingtip etc.

Currently flying a stock PA-12. :D Hope to make a 150hp -12 clone after I finish restoring a J3 (Originally an O59A). So many projects, so little time. :(

You all make this the best site on the web. It's amazing what I find here about my favorite subject (Cubs). A lot of talent and information on this site. Never met one of you but feel like you're all friends because your ideas and thoughts come into my home.

I just got a new job as a firefighter. After being a traveling weather modification pilot for the last five years, I will now have the time and garage space to start building. Ironically I had to quit being a professional pilot to be able to build the dream. I have the northland CD. Any suggestions befor I get started?

Experimental Cub

We are building a Smith Kit L-19 wide body cub. We have the wings and control surfaces and will pick up the fuselage this month from Nick in Canada. Our plan is to use a 0-360 engine. Jerry McCammon

Experimental Cub

Building a Wag-Aero sport trainer in Phoenix. Wood ribs and spar. 18 gallons in wing, pressure cowl. O-235. Electrical system with battery under front seat. Wings are covered. Fusalage is powder coated and on the gear. My engine is junk and looking for a replacement and wondering if I should add the bracing and install the O-320. Nibling away for six years and figure I have another two to go.

We are building a Smith Aviation wide body kit with all of the bells and whistles. We will be puting it on our Clamar 2200 amphib floats, hanging our new TMX-360 from Mattituck with our new 180 HP Leading Edge exhaust system. We have it about 50% completed and 95% to go. :wink:

supercubc37 said:

Matt

Can you share more information and may pics of your graphite honeycomb stuff? Where did you get it from? What did you do for the screw attach areas to beef up the honeycomb?

Thanks,

Bugs

Phil, it's good to hear from you again. Please post pictures of your project, I would like to see them and no doubt others would too.

I won't make OSH '04, but I'll be there in '05 (New Holstein too)!!

Todd Chisum

Bugs I just bored a 1/2" hole with the uni-bit all the way through and mixed some West epoxy and cotton flox ( real stiff ), taped the hole on the bottom shut and over filled the holes and used weight to compress the mixture into a hard point. Removed some of the core material around the edges and used the same epoxy/flox mixture to fill the edges.

The piece we got came from someone Wilbur knew.

Matt

I worked with aluminum honey comb several years ago and used aluminum tbing for bushings and epoxied them in.

Hi everyone,

I am building from Univair blueprints and the North land CD. Using some hard to manufacture parts from Airframes Inc (excellent Service and quality products) and will use some parts from Northland (excellent CD and excellent service also)

Widening the fuselage in the cockpit area by 4 inches.
Thinking about a modified glass setup (think combination L4 and L21B) and glass in door and possibly on the right side wall to increase viewing options.

Have a fin and rudder and now working on my fuselage. Have finished building the 2 tackwelded sides and now jigging everything and forming/bending it so that I can tackweld the top and bottom trusses in.

I'm building a pretty much scratch built machine. I started with a bare damaged
fuselage and built everything from gear to engine mount to wings. At present
I am finishing off some metal work on some extended wings maybe with some
aux fuel tanks. I hope to be covering the wings in a few weeks and then
fab up some aluminum struts and it will be pretty much ready to go. No kit built
cub here... I have gleaned a lot of information from this website and have
used a camera and tape measure on a friend's cub for details.

It won't be long! MNSC360

I'm building a Turbine Cubs (now Backcountry Super Cubs) L-21. Everything but the fuselage is covered ready for paint. Engine is an Aerosort Power 0-320 built up to around 180hp. Great kit but lousy instructions and not much of a hardware package. Don

North Star

I finished my North Star Super Cub kit in 2004. First flight was April 1, no fooling! I have 500 hours so far. 5 trips to Johnson Creek, New Holstein, OSH.
It has a Lycoming 0-360 A4M, Mc Cauley 84/44 prop, 2.5 inch wider Fuselage, 3" extended gear, air oil shocks, X brace, Baby Bush Wheel and 31" Bush wheels, float fittings.
I like it!

The Borrowed Horse in my signature is a RV8 I built it too. xz

I finished a PA-18 clone with an O-200 about 18 months ago. I have 250 hours on it now. Wouldn't part with it for anything.....
May be starting another one soon. My wife wants her own......Gotta love her!
DaveG

We built two Smith super cubs and put them on amph. floats. First flight was in July 06 and I have over 400 hrs on mine. I just removed the floats this weekend for the winter and have the cub on 29" Bushwheels. My friend keeps his on amph all year long. We built them together in my hangar. Our RV-10 is in the paint booth now. We have four partners in this one.
Love the super cubs and will be keeping both of them.

DaveG

How did your trip across the country turn out? Was nice to meet you folks in NH.

Jim in Maine

Jim,
The trip was GREAT! Only 2 weather days in 3 weeks and 77 hours of flying.
We really enjoyed meeting you and all the other great SC.org folks at New Holstein.
I think we'll probably be back next year....
DaveG

I'm gathering parts and materials right now for a replica of the Piper P-2. Don't know how long it will take, but hopefully someday it will fly!

PiperP-2.jpg

Finished mine about this time last year, Dakota Cub wings,Airframes Inc widebody fuselage, 0-360, 90" prop,Thrustline ,AOSS so far one of the best things I have done in my life.Couple of photos in the gallery

Mike

Smith/TCOW/BackCountry Supercub. 180 hp. Hope to fly it next spring or early summer. The P's and Q's have pretty much been covered above. I will say that this site and all the help here have been priceless!!!!!!!!I really enjoy the exp side of things. The building process has been very rewarding and great stress reliever. 12 hrs in the shop and I forget about the bad week at work!! I could go on and on, but safices to say building experimental is a blast. Some photos in my gallery.

J

Back