• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying with the window open

Tom

Bettendorf, Iowa
I was wondering how you guys keep the window up when you are flying. A quick search suggests that I am not the only person that has faced this dilemma.

This afternoon I installed a small O-Ring around the clasp ( I guess that's what you call it) in the wing. The latch is much tighter now and it looks like it will stay open just fine.

I haven't tried it in the air yet but I am confident this is going to work.

The manual says that the plane can be flown with the door and window open for special operations (photography, etc. ) ( I was thinking nature's air conditioning). It cautions not to place excessive air loads on the window. So.....what exactly does that mean?

I am assuming normal cruise and landings are OK. I don't plan on Max speed dives or doing stalls with the door and window open. Any advice or sharing of experiences would be appreciated.

Also, I am using 8:50 X 6 tires and my home airport, KMLI, is all concrete. The manual says 18 Lbs pressure for the 8:00 X 4. There is no recommendation for an 8:50 in my manual.

What do you recommend for pressure. My experience is very limited. (how about the tailwheel pressure?? I have about 45 Lbs in it.)

Tom from Iowa

The left window or the right window. I have a headliner and too darn turbulent to leave the right window open at cruise. It's not a j3/65. At 1500 to 1900 maybe. The left window is open alot or part open. Not as radical when its open with the smaller opening.

What's wrong with doing stalls with the door and window open? When the door comes up and the window down, you're in the early part of a stall...

I didn't know you could close the door when you flew, I thought it was just to keep the birds, bears, and cats out when it was tied down... :wink:

I agree that the lower door is the best stall warning indicator the plane has, also, the whumping sound of the wind when it gets close is another good indicator when the door or windows are open.

In 197T, I would close the lower door so I would have an armrest, and because the warm exhaust would get in on the person in backs legs.

sj

Like Steve, I too flew our SC with the bottom door closed. Elbows on the left window sill and right lower door. Like driving a Jeep at 1000 feet. Great fun. We modified our upper window hinges with pins that could be pulled out. It took 5 seconds to pull the pins and I would just remove the upper window in the summer months.

Full blown slips always felt a little strange with both sides open though :eek:

Dave

Contact Cubcrafters and get one of their door clips to fix to the upper wing underside -- works very well indeed. Few dollars only.

Can't seem to find it on their website, but they do sell them.

BCB

They're cheaper at Home Depot - they call them a cabinet clip or something like that. Works fine, lasts long time.

Put a 1/2" E-clip around the "latch" and you won't have any more problems. Only a few cents and it has worked well for me. Approval ?

Kind of like a snap ring, here's a picture:
00380.gif

(I had to do a search myself.)

-->Aaron

That is also known as an Oh-Jesus clip. The reason is that when you remove it you here two distinct sounds. Tink when the clip is removed and Oh-Jesus :bad-words: where did that clip go now! :lol:

Matt

If you are talking about the left window I have a shooters window which basically opens the entire pilots window on the left side and it is so heavy that it stays down during cruise without any problem and no need of a latch.

I've been using the little spring loaded clips for years. You can adjust the tension on the springs to make the window stay open.

The small O-ring that I put on the clasp in the bottom of the wing now holds the window just the way I want it to. If I get tired of putting o-rings on, I will go to the E clip. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Tom

Right Side Open

In the summer I always leave my right window open and let the door flap down. The deal with putting pressure on the left sliding window means : If you've got the right side opened up, crack the sliding window on the left.

I agree. The if you have the door down, that is hands down the best stall indicator you could ask for. When it starts to float up, either add power or get the nose down because you are going to start mushing down.

I actually talk the door and window off in the summer if i am going to be getting in and out alot. Don't know if this is approved.

Back